First calf heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you everyone! I was happy to find her already calved out and a standing healthy baby. Everyone had excellent guesses as to when she would calve! Her half sister is right there behind her, I'll post when she calves. I'm guess next couple of days.

Just came out to check the other bred heifer. She's walking around away from the herd. Bloody discharge. Keeps mooing and looking at her hind end. All of this normal? I'm going to hide out in the barn and keep an eye on her. Never seen a calf born, is the bloody discharge normal? Haven't seen a water sac yet

Attachments

• 5D85F1B7-33DB-42E1-9D5D-8C6279F24B18.jpeg
    5D85F1B7-33DB-42E1-9D5D-8C6279F24B18.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
That looks like she's already had a calf. Better take a look around the pasture. Or get her in the chute and glove up in case she has twins. But mooing and looking at her behind is normal behavior - before they calve.
Well you're right! Found the baby happy and healthy. Should I still palp to see if twins ? If I can find something else?

I don't think you need to check for another. Most likely, she was trying to expel the afterbirth when you saw her looking & mooing. Calf is definitely cleaned off. Have you seen it nurse? That's the next hurdle. If the calf has already nursed and you missed it, check the heifers teats. At least a couple should be clean & shiny. Stick your finger in the calf's mouth. If it latches on, it's hungry and needs to nurse.

First pic of cow, the one teat shown APPEARS nursed. But it's better to see em all in person!

Usually a quarter will look smaller as well. Also, look at the calfs butt! Yeller poo butt is a good indicator.

Calf has been up and about a bit. As it's hooves have already lost their soft pads off the bottoms

Yes I got the calf up to check her over and she got right over to nursing. All is good!! Amazing how they know to look for that teat as soon as they are born.
I also find it amazing they are born walking!
Up and at em EVERY time I am amazed. Even after seeing lots and lots born.

Born and able to walk. And instantly know where a teat is. Simple instinct but still amazing to me.

Thank you all for your inputs and responses! You all have been so helpful. I figured out why she was mooing at her hind end. The calf was laying there behind her. Just checking out for her new calf!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I just had a heifer have her first calf on Monday the 10th. I figured I would post here instead of making a new thread. I too purchased this cow as a weanling and did as you did. Pretty awesome to see her being a great momma tending to her baby, a little heifer as well. She calved out unassisted and is doing good. Great week

Attachments

• 817200A4-940F-440E-836E-6ACC46C5DFE7.jpeg
    817200A4-940F-440E-836E-6ACC46C5DFE7.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I just had a heifer have her first calf on Monday the 10th. I figured I would post here instead of making a new thread. I too purchased this cow as a weanling and did as you did. Pretty awesome to see her being a great momma tending to her baby, a little heifer as well. She calved out unassisted and is doing good. Great week
No worries at all! I'm glad to see that your heifer calved ok and had a healthy calf. Congrats! Neat color with that baby. Who did you breed the heifer to?

No worries at all! I'm glad to see that your heifer calved ok and had a healthy calf. Congrats! Neat color with that baby. Who did you breed the heifer to?
I didn't breed her to anything! lol. I had her with an angus bull this past May 5 - July 4 ... not knowing that the neighbors charolais had got her this past winter. Worked out really well honestly. She is now right around 24 months old, +/- . I plan to hold her back now and get her in line with the spring calving crowd. Not a heavy bag on her but she's getting about a gallon or so of grain and access to a tub in the mean time.

I didn't breed her to anything! lol. I had her with an angus bull this past May 5 - July 4 ... not knowing that the neighbors charolais had got her this past winter. Worked out really well honestly. She is now right around 24 months old, +/- . I plan to hold her back now and get her in line with the spring calving crowd. Not a heavy bag on her but she's getting about a gallon or so of grain and access to a tub in the mean time.
Sounds like it did workout well! Got a nice heifer calf out of that mix. Congrats!

Latest posts