First Buy

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A friend is offering 1/2 ownship on a heifer(beefmater).1,500.00 to own her and 300.00 for early expense,and about 150.00 to breed her this spring.Is this the way to go to get in the cattle game.

thank you Debbie

if you have the land, with the money your friend is asking you could buy three good purebred heifers for yourself and may find them already bred

> A friend is offering 1/2 ownship
> on a heifer(beefmater).1,500.00 to
> own her and 300.00 for early
> expense,and about 150.00 to breed
> her this spring.Is this the way to
> go to get in the cattle game.

> thank you Debbie

[email protected]

> on a heifer(beefmater).1,500.00 to

> thank you Debbie

Doesn't sound like a deal I would have the balls to offer to any of my "friends". Those prices sound like your friend is assuring him or her self of making a nice profit, while setting you up for a ride to the poorhouse. Are the prices you mentioned 100% numbers or are they your 50% share? IMHO, if those are your 50% share numbers that heifer and the proposed sire, feed, etc. better be VERY, VERY top of the line (and if I were you I still wouldn't go for it)!! And those amounts are still high even if they are 100% numbers. Not a good way to get into the business.

With friends like that, who needs enemies...lol (no offense intended). Sounds like the "friend" wants his/her cake and eat it too. That much money for any bovine (unless very rare breed) had darn well better be top of the line, registered, with outstanding pedigree for the usual English and/or cross-breed types. I would think a price of $600 to 1,000 would be more like it for FULL ownership of a "standard" bovine. Breeding fee of $150 is not too unusual for 2-3 cycle exposure plus any "cow care/feed" while at breeder's place. Finally much better to completely own an animal than to share ownership. Exceptions would be an EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE animal valued in the thousands or tens of thousands (as in syndicated ownership).

There is only one way that I would ever own a half a cow, if the plans were to flush her on a regular basis. This heifer would have to be a good one at best.Your friend I think wants you to feed and breed this heifer for him. If you do your own A.I. work then the cost of breeding would only be the semen cost. Now some Beefmaster semen is on the high side for I would be asking a lot of questions about that. Plus you do not now if the heifer will produce a good calf. Just because they cost alot does not mean they will produce a lot. That first calf will need to at least bring $3,000 for you to break even. Now if see is really that great then flushing her for her embroys might make a little money, if see produces at least ten or more good ones at a time. I would just by your own cattle and do not let your friend take you for a losing investment.

> on a heifer(beefmater).1,500.00to

> thank you Debbie

Latest posts