first breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
I have two heifers(galloway and Hereford) ready to breed. my neighbor has a smaller pinzgauer/angus bull available. (dad pinzgauer-mom angus). I was told today that pinzgauers sometimes throw larger calves. does anyone have any info or advice on why I should or shouldn't consider this bull for first time heifers. both heifers are between 900 -1000#.

Pinzgauers can be 70-80#, but 100+ # birthweights are also common. Crossed up like that you have no idea what you are getting. On two heifers I would AI to a decent, proven calving ease bull, probably British based. Turning a bull in is less work, but you might have a lot more work and a lot fewer heifers later on.

If you use him jsut be ready for possible calving issues and the dock you'll get at the salebarn for those stripe backed calves. No matter how good they look or even if you tell them, folks will still think longhorn

Kind of a crapshoot... The Angus would be safer for smaller calves, but unless you know a lot about the Pinz's background, I would be hesitant to use him on those breeds of heifers.
We used our neighbor's Pinz bull on a Simmental heifer that we had a really hard time catching in heat, but she did okay being a bigger breed. I think he was about 85ish.
Made a really pretty tuxedo black calf with perfect Pinz markings.
I also would see if you could AI those two heifers.

Latest posts