First attempt at a prosciutto

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Time to check it. It's aged for 6 months now. It's a split off a full ham because I didn't want to risk an entire ham. I don't know why it's takin the funny twist it's getting. It started off brick shaped

3FC0CE30-F4DE-40E6-B52B-1E91150B5F9B.jpg

06562817-B782-4274-A28A-3CD1CB547B97.jpg

The taste is phenomenal! I'm not sure it's going to make it to Easter dinner

That looks great Hook! One day I'll give it a go. How is your curing room set up?

Congrats!
:tiphat:

The walk in is where it all gets cured. Then to the house for aging in the closet. My wife is very tolerant lol.
I just picked up a case of bellies to make bacon. I don't have any pigs ready quite yet.

highgrit":31hieqbc said:
I can't see the part that looks good. It might taste good, but what about it looks good?
Exactly what I was thinking, I don't doubt that it's delicious though. I love prosciutto. If it's good right now, by the time easter comes everyone would get a 1 inch square piece on a toothpick. The rest would be gone from taste testing.

What, you all don't like mold? Lol
White mold is good and a sign that the aging is going as planned. The absence of mold is a problem. I wish you guys could smell it. It's a rich nutty smell.

Hook":2gagckee said:
The walk in is where it all gets cured. Then to the house for aging in the closet. My wife is very tolerant lol.
I just picked up a case of bellies to make bacon. I don't have any pigs ready quite yet.
Well is dirty old men start hittin' on your wife don't worry about it. It's only the ham and bacon smell that's turning them on. :lol2: :lol2:

Hook":9xe1us6s said:
What, you all don't like mold? Lol
White mold is good and a sign that the aging is going as planned. The absence of mold is a problem. I wish you guys could smell it. It's a rich nutty smell.
I was at a top fuel drag race one day sending some pics to a buddy who exclaimed " we just need to invent a camera that takes pictures that capture smell!"

Latest posts