First AI

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first AI. Vet has been talked to, semen bought and I am getting ready.
Been reading about it alot here and the vet has also explained what he is going to do.
My only question is this, because I can't remember what my vet told me.
Is it best to start the first steps of AI'ing before or after the cow cycles?
The cow is out with our steers away from any bulls.

I luv herfrds-
not sure what you mean by first steps of A.i., but i believe you should A.I. within 12 hrs of standing heat. i.e. if you see the cow standing at 6 am - A.i. her at 6 pm. (i hope thats right - not wanting to pass on bad information - it's been a while since i've done it myself)

ROB

ROB":14ibklmm said:
I luv herfrds-
not sure what you mean by first steps of A.i., but i believe you should A.I. within 12 hrs of standing heat. i.e. if you see the cow standing at 6 am - A.i. her at 6 pm. (i hope thats right - not wanting to pass on bad information - it's been a while since i've done it myself)

ROB

Correct, it's referred to as the am pm rule. If they are standing in the am you AI in the pm and vice versa

If the vet is gonna do the work then this is probably a synced and timed AI.

Did the vet give you a schedule of things to do? Or has he done them?

There may be a person around who can do AI a little bit cheaper than having a vet do it. Unless the vet does a lot of AI a trained inseminator who breeds a lot of cows will probably also have a higher settleing percentage.

We AI 12-18 hours after the cow quits standing for the spotter bull and try to be closer to the 12 hrs. than the 18.

pd the vet is 12 miles away and any AI tech is around 60 miles away. Vet will be cheaper.

Sorry I wasn't clearer on my question, so here goes again.
The cow is out to pasture with several steers and has no contact with a bull. I have observed her "bulling" on the steers and vice versu.
Now would it be best to plan the AI before her natural heat or after her natural heat? Or does it even matter?

Rob the first steps I was asking about was the shots and CIDR.

Why not just AI on the natural heat? or just give a shot of Estrumate 7 days after the natural heat and AI on that heat? Over here CIDRs comes in packs of 10, can you buy them individually?

Synching her or using a natural heat depends on how available the vet is, i.e. can he/she be contacted to have the cow bred within a short period of time? If there is no problem contacting the vet and can be there when needed, a natural heat is more likely to be fertile then an induced heat. Discuss it with the vet, if the availabliity isn;t a problem, call when you see her standing for one of the steers and schedulae to have her bred in :roughly) 12 hours, the am pm rule.

Important; When or if you synch. Timing it so they come in heat when the vet is available is important. You don't want them standing on Sunday morning. If they do not take then they should come back in about 21 days later, which would put it on the same day during the week.

novatech":3ozwadlo said:
Important; When or if you synch. Timing it so they come in heat when the vet is available is important. You don't want them standing on Sunday morning. If they do not take then they should come back in about 21 days later, which would put it on the same day during the week.

Excellent point. I would shoot for a wednesday or thursday as being the expected breeding date for the synch. That way if she comes back in at 17 days it still won;t be a week-end. Normal heat cycle is (supposedly) 17-21 days. 16 to 23 isn;t all that rare of an occurence.

Thank you everyone.
My questions are answered.
Called the vet last night and we are going to set up a date in which we are going to do the AI.
When I said this is my first AI I mean very first. Never done it before or even seen it done. Going to be a learning experience.

Gosh dang it!!!!!
Checked my cow today and 2 of the steers mounted her. Then the calf of another cow out there mounted her. She was not standing still though. She moved off when they mounted.
Semen will not be in until possibly Wednesday.
Looks like we are going to miss a natural heat. So we are going to synch her.