First AI calf

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
I had my first ever AI calf born yesterday. Incredibly exciting; I can't believe I made that little thing with my own hands. Never been so excited about a calf. I attempted 5 heifers and got two bullseyes although I had to cull the other heifer for being a nutcase. The heifer is a murray grey highland cross and the AI sire was a Red Devon. The calf is 4 hours old in the pictures below

Andrew

It may be hard to believe but even after 40 plus years of AI I still get a warm and fuzzing feeling when an AI calf is born. Almost makes me want to hand out cigars.

Congrats on your calf!

On a sidenote, does it make anyone else nervous seeing a newborn so close to pond/lake? After she spits out a calf, I've always worried about a new calf flopping around trying to take it's first steps, and with slope into the water, that calf and cow would be helpless once it's in the water. I may be a worry wart, but I'm sure someone has experienced similar??

Congrats on your first AI calf! Seeing an AI calf hit the ground never gets less exciting for me either!

torogmc81":lbolugou said:
Congrats on your calf!

On a sidenote, does it make anyone else nervous seeing a newborn so close to pond/lake? After she spits out a calf, I've always worried about a new calf flopping around trying to take it's first steps, and with slope into the water, that calf and cow would be helpless once it's in the water. I may be a worry wart, but I'm sure someone has experienced similar??

Yep, I had a reg. Angus cow having a reg. angus calf found her by the pond pacing back and forth. Her water had broke close to slope. I think she got up with it half out spin around and shot put it right into pond. The calf surfaced two weeks later. :bang: B&G

Townie, Nice calf Congrats!! B&G

Black and Good":wpon10s8 said:
torogmc81":wpon10s8 said:
Congrats on your calf!

Yep, I had a reg. Angus cow having a reg. angus calf found her by the pond pacing back and forth. Her water had broke close to slope. I think she got up with it half out spin around and shot put it right into pond. The calf surfaced two weeks later. :bang: B&G

Townie, Nice calf Congrats!! B&G
X 3!! I hear about it all the time. I won't even let mine calve in the pasture with the irrigation ditch.

Congratulations on your calf!

Congrats! We had our first AI calves this year; it is a lot of fun watching them grow out. I hope that your heifer turns into a very productive cow.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. It's good to hear from people like Dun and Alan that the joy of new calves never diminishes. And yes I didn't like seeing that calf get near the dam. Thankfully they only stayed there a couple of minutes.

Andrew

Good on you Andrew. That success will inspire you to carry on to greater things. Yes it is a thrill each year seeing the results from the different sires you use.
How are your new cows going, still stuck down in NSW?
The dam is not a worry once they are up and going but yes you can lose them if they calve on the bank. I lost one a few years ago cow looked like she was going to calve and then just slowly dried up. The calf surfaced about 5 weeks later, it took a while due the cold temp of the water slowing things down.
Ken

wbvs58":16sgf2jy said:
Good on you Andrew. That success will inspire you to carry on to greater things. Yes it is a thrill each year seeing the results from the different sires you use.
How are your new cows going, still stuck down in NSW?
The dam is not a worry once they are up and going but yes you can lose them if they calve on the bank. I lost one a few years ago cow looked like she was going to calve and then just slowly dried up. The calf surfaced about 5 weeks later, it took a while due the cold temp of the water slowing things down.
Ken

Thanks Ken. I'm looking forward to doing some more AI this year. Hopefully I'll improve on my success rate. The new Devon cows arrived a couple of weeks ago. They were a bit skinny but looking better already. They've all got calves and probibly looked worse than what they actually are as I've got 4 dry cows left here which are fat at the moment. Some of that coastal country looks really good but the cattle never seem to do great on it. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Andrew

Latest posts