First 4 cows

Help Support CattleToday:

CarmanRanch

Reaction score
Last sunday I took delivery on my first cattle. My grandfather runs 50 head of Brahma cross cows and I have helped him take care of them. He allowed me to start my own herd on the side. I bought 4 head of Red Brahman, 3 are registered and one is not registered(with horns).

picture001nkb.jpg

picture002ksg.jpg

picture003jlh.jpg

picture004e.jpg

picture006vaq.jpg

picture007tpg.jpg

My dog Star
picture009sdd.jpg

Hey, CONGRATS! :clap: :banana:

Its an awesome feeling, isnt it? When you get those very first ones that are completely and solely YOURS :mrgreen:

Your heifers look gorgeous. I love red brahman. Are you planning to breed them to a reg. red brahman bull?

Keep in touch, and :welcome: to CT!

You are definately off to a great start. They are very nice heifers. Wish I had as good when I first started years ago. It is great feeling when they are yours. You have great grandfather to encourage you into the cattle business. We need as many young people as we can get to carry on the tradition.
I reckon a bull like JDH Mr Elmo would be a good cross over them. I reckon he's one of the best looking Brahman bulls bred in the US.
Colin :banana:

The two oldest are bred to a registered gray brahma bull. I am going to AI the other two when they come into heat to a registered Red Brahma bull. Later on down the line once my herd gets a between 15-20 I am going to purchase a JD Hudgins gray bull or a Locke(Red Brahma division of JDH) bull.

CarmanRanch-

WOW! Excellent beginning for an optimal seedstock herd! They are in great condition for potential herd matrons, and you will have many opportunities to be pleased with your choices. Congratulations!

Keep seeking knowledge and information. That is the hallmark of a successful breeder. When you have knowledge, NO ONE can take it away from you.

DOC HARRIS

The words you should be looking for are intelligence,doing ability. No other breed has contributed to the beef industry especially in warm areas more than the Brahman. I first seen them when I was about 15 years old (40 years ago) and have loved them since. Purchased my first bull when I was 18. When I look back now, the bull was very ordinary. Where I lived at the time there was little to choose from and not many Brahmans available. Young people these days have so many more opportunities through semen,embryos etc to get ahead with Beef cattle. The largest hinderance would be the over inflated land values and the lack of incentives by governments to foster more youth involvement in rural pursuits.
Keep up your interest in the breed they will stick by you long after the Angus fad has waned.

Australian":sdwo1s56 said:
The words you should be looking for are intelligence,doing ability. No other breed has contributed to the beef industry especially in warm areas more than the Brahman. I first seen them when I was about 15 years old (40 years ago) and have loved them since. Purchased my first bull when I was 18. When I look back now, the bull was very ordinary. Where I lived at the time there was little to choose from and not many Brahmans available. Young people these days have so many more opportunities through semen,embryos etc to get ahead with Beef cattle. The largest hinderance would be the over inflated land values and the lack of incentives by governments to foster more youth involvement in rural pursuits.
Keep up your interest in the breed they will stick by you long after the Angus fad has waned.
i agree with you sept the part about angus being a fad,,,, angus have been a main stay in the beef industry and probably will continue... now as for the marketeers and all the hoopla surrounding angus :?:

alacattleman":26a80a0d said:
dun":26a80a0d said:
Don;t care for Brahmans just the Gyr looking red ones.
what do you like about those jugheads..3/4s of its pure horn :p

That's part of it, and a good share is their personality and cocility. And that moo of theirs is so distinctive.

Latest posts