First 2013 calf on the ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
No, the village idiot still hasn't figured out the Photo Bucket thing. But nice little black heifer (55 lbs. or so) out of a first-timer mom, high percentage BA cow (that's red; her twin is blonde) and a Black Galloway bull. Anticipated earliest (right -- "earliest') due date at 5/12/13, so she was a little early. Cow had no delivery problems, but it took overnight to get through Mothering 101. We separated them from the rest of the bunch because they all wanted to hug the baby. Both doing fine today.

Before anyone asks "WTH I was thinking doing Angus and Galloway?", it's because I only have a couple of those Angus girls and the rest are British Whites -- but there's no British White bulls nearby and we didn't have the handling system set up in time to do AI last year. So did pasture breeding w/ a bull closer to the frame size, body type, anticipated birth weights as the majority of the girls. But that chute sure came in handy yesterday getting them hooked up for the first time. Hope the rest all go as smoothly.

And if anyone is wondering why we start so late . . . . 4 weeks ago, neighboring calves were sticking to the frozen ground when they landed on it and it was still snowing and/or freezing rain. That's not my idea of a good experience.