First 2009 Calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

gallowaygirl

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a picture of our first calf for 2009. She is a little late, but we are very excited to have her :banana: -we are hoping she's going to set the standard for the majority of this year's calf to all be girls. Last year we had 8 calves and 6 of them were boys! One down, 12 more to go for this year. Hopefully the picture works.

Oh Yeah- she's a purebred Galloway heifer, and that's her momma next to her, one of our best cows. She was born 3-8-09, during a big hailstorm and around 40mph winds (I know that's not as bad as some of you have, but for us, in March, it's a pretty big deal ;-) )

EstherHeifer.jpg

Thanks. We've been waiting for this particular cow to calve for a while now (we didn't preg check last year) because her last calf was born in November 2007, meaning that we were expecting a calf around December-January. We are very happy, especially since it's a girl. Now we're just waiting on everyone else!

She's really beautiful — I know it's not what most people breed for, but I love the colour and coat. Gorgeous duo!

Have you named her yet? I suggest "Edie"..cute calf, mama looks good too.

Stripey":psjxm6s8 said:
She's really beautiful — I know it's not what most people breed for, but I love the colour and coat. Gorgeous duo!

Actually, we do breed for the coat, and the color is just a bonus (all the color, the white and colored points are regular, but on the entire face and neck is extra)

donnaIL":psjxm6s8 said:
Have you named her yet? I suggest "Edie"..cute calf, mama looks good too.

Funny you suggest that: her dad's name was Eddie (that's what we called him at least). She has no name yet, but will most likely be something along the lines of Isabelle, or something, in memory of my great-grandmother.

I wanted to post an update on how the little heifer is doing. She is now almost 4 months old, and growing like a weed. I'm getting ready to go get her from the field and get her and her dam ready for a show in the middle of August. The picture is from last month.
DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

And since I am on a picture stint, I'll also throw in some pictures of the other two purebred calves we have, both bull calves. One is white w/ red points, he was born in the first part of April. The other is white w/ black points, he was born in the first week of June. They are both turning out good, and have the color and confirmation that we look for. Hopefully they will be shown later this year at the NILE (if we decide to go) or at a more local fair next summer.
DSCN0505.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

Latest posts