Firey pits of hello

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
My son in law makes knives. He's been doing it quite a while. He also makes knife throwing items and competes in knife throwing. I get a call from him the other day, he needed to use our wood stove in the shop to forge a knife he's making. Wood stove in the shop is run on wood and oil. I know he has a forge but it wasn't big enough for the knife he was special making for a guy to use on a TV knife show. I cant remember the name but the guys do some course using a knife...
I suggest maybe he could use my kiln. He said he knows of some knife makers using a kiln and watched some youtubes. He needed it to reach 1500 and my kiln goes over 3000..I wasn't sure how to know when it was 1500, but he said he would be able to tell by how the metal looked. I put in a cone that was a 1850 temp so we'd know if it got too hot...
It was a cluster.....F...I was very nervous for anything to be done in my glass room because there is a lot of things in there right now i'm working on. He kind of like a bull in a china shop at times. He assured me that he's quite use to heat. I kept telling him, its going to be an inferno if he has to open that kiln, but he kept saying its really no different than his forge. Well, it was different. I'm really glad I stayed out there. He was going to leave that lid open way to long and burn down our barn. He also just had on a Tshirt, I rustled up some old bunker gear for him to wear and some welding gloves. I had one of those Ugg gloves too. First thing that happened, he fiddled to long to pick up the knife and the ugg glove burst into flame...Luckily he wasn't burned. We regrouped, I made him practice how to pick it up with the second knife he had to do, and he got the first knife out. He dunks the knife in oil right out of the kiln, that set fumes everywhere...I worried about a flash fire since it was right at the open kiln.. The second knife we were more prepared, but how we didn't burn down our barn is a miracle...I'm hoping it scared him enough he wont ask to use it again....Picture is of his setup, my kiln is great for ceramics, but really not enough room for knife making. That room was so hot the rest of the day..

cowgirl8":1xziv1eg said:
My son in law makes knives. He's been doing it quite a while. He also makes knife throwing items and competes in knife throwing. I get a call from him the other day, he needed to use our wood stove in the shop to forge a knife he's making. Wood stove in the shop is run on wood and oil. I know he has a forge but it wasn't big enough for the knife he was special making for a guy to use on a TV knife show. I cant remember the name but the guys do some course using a knife...
I suggest maybe he could use my kiln. He said he knows of some knife makers using a kiln and watched some youtubes. He needed it to reach 1500 and my kiln goes over 3000..I wasn't sure how to know when it was 1500, but he said he would be able to tell by how the metal looked. I put in a cone that was a 1850 temp so we'd know if it got too hot...
It was a cluster.....F...I was very nervous for anything to be done in my glass room because there is a lot of things in there right now i'm working on. He kind of like a bull in a china shop at times. He assured me that he's quite use to heat. I kept telling him, its going to be an inferno if he has to open that kiln, but he kept saying its really no different than his forge. Well, it was different. I'm really glad I stayed out there. He was going to leave that lid open way to long and burn down our barn. He also just had on a Tshirt, I rustled up some old bunker gear for him to wear and some welding gloves. I had one of those Ugg gloves too. First thing that happened, he fiddled to long to pick up the knife and the ugg glove burst into flame...Luckily he wasn't burned. We regrouped, I made him practice how to pick it up with the second knife he had to do, and he got the first knife out. He dunks the knife in oil right out of the kiln, that set fumes everywhere...I worried about a flash fire since it was right at the open kiln.. The second knife we were more prepared, but how we didn't burn down our barn is a miracle...I'm hoping it scared him enough he wont ask to use it again....Picture is of his setup, my kiln is great for ceramics, but really not enough room for knife making. That room was so hot the rest of the day..

No pants?

That looks like our kiln except ours is 4 sections tall. I have often wondered if I could just leave a couple of sections out. Is that what you have done?

backhoeboogie":3coqifda said:
That looks like our kiln except ours is 4 sections tall. I have often wondered if I could just leave a couple of sections out. Is that what you have done?
I don't believe mine is stackable..The body is all one piece and the top is affixed to the base...I'm guessing that's what you're asking... But, if yours is made for the stacks to be removed, i'd think that's why they were done that way to fire tall things or regular things.. I lived next door to some people that back in the 70s they used kilns to stretch coke bottles....remember those? I remember their house being filled with them and my friend Sheila, their daughter, wandered out during the night and fell onto them and cut herself really bad.... She was around 6 or 8 at the time...
But, you'd have to have a tall kiln for what they did....

Someone in Jefferson trades days used to sell those stretched coke bottles. That was back in the early 70's. I don't remember seeing any since then.

Here is the knife my SIL made this day. One did not come out at all, but he planned for a learning curve and had 2 ready. Its already shipped to its new owner and i'll find out when it will be on TV..