Firewood hauling?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
We've been tossing around ideas for a better system for firewood than stacking it in the truck or tractor bucket then stacking it again when we get it to the house.
We were thinking of maybe taking some pallets and building a frame (a bottom, a back, and two sides) we could stack wood in as we cut and split it and pick up with the fork lift and bring to the house and set down.
Anybody got a system that's working well for them?

I've seen several ideas around a 3 pt carry-all like TSC sells. Some involve a pallet with sides and others a larger platform with sides. Stack the firewood in the box. Slide the carry-all under and move it around the farm. Even a tiny tractor can move a lot on the 3pt.

Foundries especially tend to ship castings in wooden pallet boxes. These are sturdy pallets with light weight wooden sides wired together. My employer has trouble getting rid of them. They make perfect boxes for firewood. About 4ft x 4 ft x 3 ft high. I place them under the conveyor discharge of my wood processor and never touch the wood again until I take it out to burn it. They handle easily with the pallet forks on my loader. They are open enough so wood will dry in them. The only thing better are the steel pallets with wire mesh sides but folks don't give those away. Good luck. Jim

yeah i do..i git that sorry boy who lives with us to get outta bed before noon and git after it if he wants to eat dinner...dont matter to me how many time she moves it...keeps him doin something cuz i gotta feed him either way..ill make him sweep the driveway if im bored..its shell

I cut most of mine 18 to 20 inches long, load it in the dump trailer and haul it out back of the house to split. The front bucket of the backhoe will hold half a cord. Dump trailer will hold two cords. I just dump it on the ground and then start splitting and stacking. When I bring it to the house from the finished stack, I use a hand truck.

My splitter works off of the tractor hydraulics so the pile out back needs to be a little ways away from the house. Next winter's wood is stacked and ready.

i have a woodstove..i cut mine like slicing peperoni's....lot more chainsaw werk but not nealry as much splitting unless the od of the log wont fit thru the top of the stove..and that almost 20''

My father in law cut off an old autobody frame from a old, old car (maybe truck, but i think a car). Just the body frame and wheels and springs were left. Welded on some post holes, one in each corner. Then he cut some pipe to fit into the holes to act like braces. When he first started hauling wood, he could pile 4' lengths, piled 4' high and 8+' long. Now hubby goes to the bush and loads tree length with the loader tractor, hauls it home and then cuts and piles at home.
The hitch is an old wood beam (i think an old ajax stack mover beam, or a well seasoned tamarac tree) with metal on one end to attach to the front wheels and a hitch (made from metal, bolted on) on the other end.
This set up also has an alternate use. We use it as a hay wagon, holds three HN850 bales. We have some old stack mover beams that got replaced. We pull out the pipes, lay the beams on and pile row the three bales, + 1 on the loader. This is how we move the hay from the hay yard to the cows so we do not have to make 4 trips back and forth from the the hay yard to the winter feeding area. Cost to us was nil since we have an ecletic junk yard full of "stuff". Just the hydro for welding and cutting. Sorry no pic. And the wagon is at the neighbors with a load of wood on it for them.
Tree length, we can haul 2 - 3 cords at a time, depending on the weight of the trees (green or seasoned).

SRBeef, got a pic of that kind of pallet box? That's what I'm wanting - something that means I don't have to touch the stuff over and over. Load it once in the woods, lift it home, set the box down and it's my holder, too.

farmwriter":3viwis37 said:
SRBeef, got a pic of that kind of pallet box? That's what I'm wanting - something that means I don't have to touch the stuff over and over. Load it once in the woods, lift it home, set the box down and it's my holder, too.

You could build a wood rack out of tube steel or pipe to do that. Just put your three point pins and top link eye on that. Just make it a double stack unit.

I took an old 3 point hitch carryall, and put 1x12's on the sides, 2 high. My bale forks on the front loader and the back forks will slide under it and pick it up. Set it down by the tree I just cut and fill it up. I only burn wood in the greenhouse shed, but I set the carryall next to the door and cover with a tarp and get the wood out. It's about 4x8x2, so it holds about a pickup load. Easiest way I have found to load and unload. Now I'm lookin' for a way to cut the wood without working. gs

Pallet on bottom.
4 upright struts, you choose height and composition.
Frame on top ( cover optional)
Whole unit is covered with chain link, 3 sides closed, with a loading side you close when full.

Depending on the size of your wood you touch it thrice! :lol:

Commercial sellers use them on a larger scale.

When I was cutting a lot of wood I built a log splitter on an old corn picker frame, the split wood would fall off the splitter into the ear corn elevator.The elevator would drop the wood into a 7x12barge box with a hoist under it. Then all I had to do is back the wagon up to my wood pile and raise the hoist. Once it was on the splitter I didn't have to touch it again until it went in the stove.

I saw a guy up North deliver firewood on pallets. He stacked the wood on the ends opposite for every row. It is hard to explain. But this made a perfect 4x4x4 cube and it was very sturdy. At this point he would shrink wrap the wood to hold them together. This way the wood is undercover from the rain and the cost was very little.

Hope this helps

Latest posts