Firefighters injured

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail that 3 firefighters were injured in Huntsville, TX (Walker Co.)while fighting a 200 acre wildfire in a pine plantation. Seemed 2 had to deploy their fire shelters (last thing to do when you can not escape). Anyone from that area have any information.

Haven't heard, but I have heard that anytime a fire shelter has to be deployed, someones head is going to roll for letting them get in that situation.

Just checked a firefighters site, nothing there.
Will check back later and see if there is anything.

Now I'm curious, if they deployed, why didn't they have an escape route?

I asked "ASK" said 2 suffered heat exaustion Mon,the other minor burns when the fire got into the top of the pines and he deployed his shelter. All seem to be ok otherwise.

Shake and Bakes. :D Don't grab the handles show steer they have been tearing off. They might of fixed the problem, but I'm not taking a chance.
Still nothing on the fire site. Normally when a deployment happens it is all the buzz.

I luv herfrds":2e388ep9 said:
Shake and Bakes. :D Don't grab the handles show steer they have been tearing off. They might of fixed the problem, but I'm not taking a chance.
Still nothing on the fire site. Normally when a deployment happens it is all the buzz.

Not sure what it take to be called a deployment that would hit your screen. But this appears to have been handled by the local fire and volunteer fire departments and the Texas Forrestry Service.

Here is a map of the area. Not sure exactly where the fire was. Bedies is on the west, Pine Prarie is north of Huntsville. So I guess it was somwhere in between.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...776749&sspn=0.31389,0.556183&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11

I luv herfrds":zg890ese said:
Shake and Bakes. :D

dito that, I always called them Jiffy Pop bags but I think I like shake and bake better :lol:
I'll mention the handles in our next meeting, thanks great info :tiphat: .

Thanks for the info peg4x4. I agree that anytime a shelter is deployed someone has messed up. I carry one but will probably go down running if it ever happens. 36 years all over the US and have never had the thought of getting into a bag.

Fri Jun 26, 2009
Houston Chronicle

Three injured while battling wildfires near Huntsville

Three firemen with the Texas Forest Service were injured Monday and Tuesday battling wildfires that starting to intensify as the Houston-area copes with a hotter and dryer summer than usual.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 94334.html
http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/ar ... spx?id=947

NEWS FLASH......Houston-area copes with a hotter and dryer summer than usual.[/i]........NEWS FLASH

:shock: No, tell me it ain't so. No way I would have ever guessed that. :lol:

1982Vett sorry I guess I needed to clarify that better.
The deployment of a fire shelter is a big deal whether it is done by one person or many. Deploy is the term used.

Kenny stay in the black. :D ;-) Got a fire shelter in every fire vehicle our company has whether it is one of the company's or a p.o.v. (private owned vehicle.) Better safe then sorry.

I luv herfrds":2e0nipoh said:
1982Vett sorry I guess I needed to clarify that better.
The deployment of a fire shelter is a big deal whether it is done by one person or many. Deploy is the term used.

Kenny stay in the black. :D ;-) Got a fire shelter in every fire vehicle our company has whether it is one of the company's or a p.o.v. (private owned vehicle.) Better safe then sorry.
Thanks, not being involved as such, a lot of terminology can be misunderstood or puzzling. Sometimes, just the way one reads something make things unclear.

Latest posts