FIRED!!! Kubiak is GONE!! Who will coach Houston?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I guess the magic # was 11. It's about dang time!!
McNair decided on the plane home to fire Gary Kubiak as head coach of Houston Texans. Wade Phillips will be interim coach for the short term.
Wish Smith would have been sacked too.

So--who will be Houston's head coach next year?
Lovie Smith?
Jimmie Johnson? (I think he's having to much fun and making too much $$ as a commentator to go back in the trenches)

Bum Phillips would be a good choice. Even dead he would do better then the last guy did

chippie":35sd5g7h said:
I don't blame him for the players screwing up. He can't control what they are thinking when out on the field. A coach can only do so much.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/12/6/5182544/an-open-letter-to-gary-kubiak-thank-you
Maintaining discipline and professionalism is one of the jobs of being Head Coach.
It is much like the military--if members of a unit fail to perform, their commander is replaced.
Kubiak called almost all the plays from the sidelines--if the plays didn't work, it fell on him. "Sheit rolls downhill" only works for a few losses, before the owners start looking at WHY the players aren't performing, and in this case, why so many games were lost in the 2nd half. Opposing teams went into the locker room at halftime, made adjustments to counter Kubiak's play calling and Kubiak never deviated from his original game plans. That, is Kubiak's fault. They have some good talent on the field, but talent can't overcome the same well known play calling week after week. Everyone at home, always had a very good idea what the next call was going to be, and it's been a complaint all year long. If WE knew, don't you think the opposition also knew? Of course they did. Kubiak and his staff simply got outcoached in the 2nd half week after week--plain and simple.

greybeard":1mg3a3he said:
chippie":1mg3a3he said:
I don't blame him for the players screwing up. He can't control what they are thinking when out on the field. A coach can only do so much.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/12/6/5182544/an-open-letter-to-gary-kubiak-thank-you
Maintaining discipline and professionalism is one of the jobs of being Head Coach.
It is much like the military--if members of a unit fail to perform, their commander is replaced.
Kubiak called almost all the plays from the sidelines--if the plays didn't work, it fell on him. "Sheit rolls downhill" only works for a few losses, before the owners start looking at WHY the players aren't performing, and in this case, why so many games were lost in the 2nd half. Opposing teams went into the locker room at halftime, made adjustments to counter Kubiak's play calling and Kubiak never deviated from his original game plans. That, is Kubiak's fault. They have some good talent on the field, but talent can't overcome the same well known play calling week after week. Everyone at home, always had a very good idea what the next call was going to be, and it's been a complaint all year long. If WE knew, don't you think the opposition also knew? Of course they did. Kubiak and his staff simply got outcoached in the 2nd half week after week--plain and simple.

You are right on.
If I could call the play sitting in a recliner Houston was going to run I am pretty sure the NFL defensive coordinators knew what it was going to be. Kubiak was a control freak he refused to let the QB's audible out of a play, had to run the play win or loose yardage.
Lovie Smith would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to Houston.
He is a players friend coach we need a Bill Cowher or Parsells type coach.
Is Houston's record all Kubiaks fault no, he can't control injuries 95% is his fault in being so predictable.
I firmly believe he was not trying to help Keenum as QB because he had become buddies with Schaub.

Rick Smith should have been on the same bus, big mistake by owner some. Many of the contracts they have with about 10 of their players are eating up 65% of the cap. Time to blow it up and start over. Peddle everybody, and yes that means JJ Watts. They only have him under contract for one more year and they are in salary cap hell. Trade him and get something for him....Pretty sure hes wanting to head back home, get your checkbook out Packers.... It would be nice if they could get Gruden to coach....Chuckie would be the ticket... As I said peddle all of em that have value.

rumor is that the shanahans may be available soon.....
I hope Houston will take them off our hands.....
but coaching problems are not nearly so vexing as owner problems like the deadskins have....

Looks like Bill O'Brien of Penn State is the front runner.
http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/ ... ans-coach/
Just two seasons after replacing one longtime coach, Penn State could soon be looking for another replacement to lead its football program. ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Shefter report that the NFL's Houston Texans are working on a deal to make Nittany Lions headman Bill O'Brien the franchise's next head coach.

The Texans met with O'Brien this week at his home in Cape Cod. O'Brien has emerged as the favorite for the job, and a deal could be in place within the next week, according to ESPN's report.

He'll have his hands full fer sure, if they can work out a deal.

Latest posts