FIRE!!

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Y'all may have seen this on the news,but there was a 700 acre fire between Bastrop and Smithville on Hwy71..Burned an Antique Mall,and 27 houses..Winds were up to 40 mph...Lots of pine trees and dry,dry conditions..I know it doesn't hold a candle to what happened in Australia,but it's bad for here..The mayor/whateverheis declared a disaster,so were able to bring in 'copters and waterdrop planes.. Tree fell,knocked down a power line,so at least it's not arson..

Had a 20,000 plus acre fire up here in January. Winds were blowing around 70mph. Pilot I know flew over it the next day and said the fire never went into the coulees it all burned on top.
These fires are getting bigger and nastier.

Stay safe down there all of you.

As i have posted before disc around the house, barns, hay, anything that can burn. Might help you and the fire dept. save things.
Hope it rains and things turn green. Outlook does not look good.
If it is still going on when our fire season is over (late April) I will probably be there to help. Hope you don't need us by then. I was in Oklahoma and Texas in 2005 and 2006 so I know what you are going though. Good luck.

Thats a shame. Probably could have been prevented too.
The moron that owns the land next to me thought a bonfire for all his friends was a good idea last night. I was completely irate. Local Sheriff and the fire department were none to happy with him either, they kinda put a damper on things with the big hose. Not sure if he got a ticket yet.. I had JUST stacked a bunch of round bail south of there too.

Last count over 1600 acres burned-27 homes-- Animal control was evacuateing horses and cattle,don't know how many were lost..at least one dog from stress and smoke--one firefighter had minor smoke inhaleation....I'm about 5 miles away from it...Fire was real close to the Lost Pines Park,and Buscher State Park,which has M.D.Anderson research ......sure a mess,and I'm not sure how to help out,but will do something..

That's too bad. Fire is something we don't really think about but something that can take away your whole life in a flash :( I'm grateful to live somewhere where it never really gets too dry. Luckily we don't have to worry about wildfires very often. My thoughts are with all those who lost their homes, pets,etc.

stay safe peg.fires are bad i dont care how big or small they are.an they are destroyers when its bone dry an the wind blows real bad.

kenny thomas":liw1k5ec said:
I was in Oklahoma and Texas in 2005 and 2006 so I know what you are going though.

I appreciate you. It was you folks that baled us out of that one. A few thousand homes and farms went up, but without you, it would have been much worse.

'05 was as bad as it has ever been on record locally. All the cactus literally dried up and died.

Those fires will spread quickly. I am a volunteer firefighter and we had a large grass/wildfire couple weeks ago and within 3 hours it had burned up over 100 acres...luckily the forestry got in and helped us

We've gotten help from other states-thank you one and all...
It's a tinderbox around here,what with pine trees and it being way too dry to burn off overgrowth..

I pray not to many of ya'll have used wooden posts. I learned a very hard lesson in '90 when I was burned out.

Fire was worse than Hurricane Carla.

Fire was worse than the Good Friday '64 earth quake in alaska.

Fire was worse than the tornado that hit the house in '01.

The only thing good about being burned out is the clean up. There is none except rolling up wire.

We're hurting but not nearly as bad as you are Joy. The Brazos River has never been as low as it is right now in my life time.

It is going to be 87 degrees today with 40 MPH wind gusts.

20% chance of rain on Sunday and 30% on Monday. Maybe, just maybe I won't have to haul water to the cows every evening next week. It is getting old!

backhoeboogie":xh2zvwqi said:
It is going to be 87 degrees today with 40 MPH wind gusts.

20% chance of rain on Sunday and 30% on Monday. Maybe, just maybe I won't have to haul water to the cows every evening next week. It is getting old!
It is getting tiresome isn't it.

Latest posts