Fire Wood?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ":37nufrc1 said:
How long is seasoned wood seasoned? Got some green wood.
Around here, most seasoned wood is from the "Tops" of trees that have been logged and down for about a year. Some woods, like Oak take longer to season.

We split ours and let it season over the summer. Will mix with green if we are short but have burned green before - just harder to get started.

we season ours over the summer also. But usually I just cut up the trees that get downed... by storms, wind, etc.
I let them lay for a few days.. let the cows eat the leaves off.. and then cut them up.

Wood is seasoned enough to burn in ~6 months if it has air (wind) circulating around it. To season wood for the optimal BTU's, it take a couple years.

If you've got live trees in a woodlot that you'd like to remove for firewood, you can "girdle" them with a chainsaw (cut a ring all the way around the trunk a few inches deep) which will kill the tree but leave it standing. If you plan it out right, you can leave your girdled trees standing for a year or more and they'll be ready to burn when they hit the ground.

I agree with most post, soft wood (Alder, fir, pine) takes about 6 months. Hard wood, (oak, maple, walnut) takes a bit longer. We use wood heat almost 100%, by chioce, and I try to keep 2 to 3 years ahead of my burning stack. and I keep it under cover. 3 yrs seasoned and dry, I can almost start it with just a match... almost :roll: .

Alan

I started making my own firestarters a couple of years ago. I used to take one of those store bought fire logs and cut chunks off it to start an fire.

Go to your friendly nieghborhood cabinet shop and pick up a five gallon bucket full of sawdust and shavings.

Melt a couple of pounds of parafin on the stove in a big pot and mix the sawdust with it till you can't mix anymore.
put those paper cupcake wrappers or what ever they're called in a couple of muffin tins and scoop in the wax and sawdust mix. Let them set up and then do it again until the mix is used up. When you want to build a fire stick one or two under the wood and light the paper. They'll burn long enough to start even green wood burning. And you don't have to fuss with the fire to get it started. Works for campfires, pits or in the heating stove.

BTW..... You might want to do this while the wife is at the beauty parlor. Some of them are kind of touchy about their pots and muffin tins.Z

MillIronQH":1l4t23nx said:
Melt a couple of pounds of parafin on the stove in a big pot and mix the sawdust with it till you can't mix anymore.
put those paper cupcake wrappers or what ever they're called in a couple of muffin tins and scoop in the wax and sawdust mix. Let them set up and then do it again until the mix is used up.

Here's another way to do it that might get us less of a beating...

Save a bunch of egg cartons, a metal coffee can, and all the lint that comes out of the dryer.. When you get enough lint to fill the egg cartons, put some wax in the coffee can, put the coffee can in a pot of water on the stove, and bring the water to a boil.. When the wax melts in the can, pour it over the lint in the egg cartons. If your egg cartons are styrofoam, the "eggs" should pop out fairly pretty easily and you may be able to reuse the cartons.. If the cartons are paper, you can just tear off sections and light the paper around the wax/lint egg.

Put the waxy coffee can away until next time, and the only thing you've really done with the wife's cookware was boiled some water in a pot. They can't beat us too bad for that, can they? :lol:

Wifes sure are touchy about their stuff. Nothing to do with fire starters but I do remember when I cleaned some automatic transmission parts in the dishwasher. It wasn't a pretty site, but the parts sure came out clean!

which woods smell bad when burned?

whats wrong with burning black willow? anything?

Sawgum1":areo4dkb said:
Wifes sure are touchy about their stuff. Nothing to do with fire starters but I do remember when I cleaned some automatic transmission parts in the dishwasher. It wasn't a pretty site, but the parts sure came out clean!

How many nights on the couch did that one cost you???Z

MillIronQH":2oqu3pat said:
Sawgum1":2oqu3pat said:

He's got a couch out in the barn?

MillIron, to keep ya'lls wifes happy you can have all the fatlighter you want from our place - we got tons of it and it is guaranteed to get a fire going with one strike of the match! Plus it smells real good!

backhoeboogie":2cl7xscd said:
MillIronQH":2cl7xscd said:
Sawgum1":2cl7xscd said:

He's got a couch out in the barn?

Doesn't everybody?? It's either that or a line of square bales and saddle blankets.Z

ffscj":3ifwm3sx said:
Heck, I put a toilet and a shower in my barn for just those occasions.

Chris

That's pretty good. The best deal I could get was a five gallon bucket with an old toilet seat and a 12"x4' water through.Z

Oak and Black Cherry (the only two kinds of wood I'd burn in a fireplace) are plenty well seasoned after two months.