FIRE -- Tis the season!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Big fire on the Yakama Reservation has been going for several days, with closure of the highway over Satus Pass -- it's roaring. New fires this morning near North Bed (Mt. Si), and another burning hot and fast up in the Clockum south of Wenatchee. None of them are close to us, but as dry as it is, and as many people take to the wilds on the weekends, I expect it won't be long before something starts not too far away. Sure could use some rain, and a whole lot less wind.

As of this afternoon the Clockum/Tarpiscan fire is at 14,000 acres, taking out lots of deer and elk habitat -- and it's reached the border of our County. Kenny, pretty sure some of your guys are headed this way -- Type 2 Nat'l fire team.

Actually, just saw another report that this fire is at 3,500 acres; don't really know who has the right info at the moment. :?

Kathie in Thorp":3u7mxuiv said:
As of this afternoon the Clockum/Tarpiscan fire is at 14,000 acres, taking out lots of deer and elk habitat -- and it's reached the border of our County. Kenny, pretty sure some of your guys are headed this way -- Type 2 Nat'l fire team.

Actually, just saw another report that this fire is at 3,500 acres; don't really know who has the right info at the moment. :?
Our guys were in Utah last night but were heading somewhere else today. Not sure where though.

kenny thomas":2kqz2due said:
Kathie in Thorp":2kqz2due said:

Our guys were in Utah last night but were heading somewhere else today. Not sure where though.
Both the Yakama Res. fire and the Colockum (mis-spelled it before) are big and ugly, and getting bigger and uglier.

It looked like rain all day today, but so far not a drop. At 5:20 pm, it's still dark skies but they are lighting up a bit .... Maybe rain sometime tonight. I would love a couple of inches.

Sorry to the folks fighting a drought ...... I'm just thinking about myself :mrgreen:

It was cool and cloudy yesterday but no rain. The forecast is hot the next three day with a chance of rain on Thursday. I don't know the wind forecast but it blew here all day yesterday.

Colockum-Tarps fire is getting bigger, and now moving from the boon-toolies towards civilization in our county, after moving across from Chelan County. Evac orders are going out. At last count today (hard to get a count w/ all the smoke) 93 sq. miles involved. It's stopped on one edge by the Columbia River; 6% contained (that must be the river edge). Still far from our place, but the team that was put together last year for moving stock to the fairgrounds is re-activated and a Red X shelter has been set up for evac folks. Have again volunteered equipment and space if needed for critters. No, not everyone in WA is born with webbed feet!

Kathie in Thorp":1m78errv said:
No, not everyone in WA is born with webbed feet!

We aren't born with web feet. That growth starts about the time you start walking. Just before the moss gets thick on your back.

And historically we have a fire once every 70-80 years that put yours to shame. Conditions have to be right but when they are look out. We have so much more fuel..... they don't stop until they hit the ocean.

Dave":24tfhpsk said:
Kathie in Thorp":24tfhpsk said:
No, not everyone in WA is born with webbed feet!

We aren't born with web feet. That growth starts about the time you start walking. Just before the moss gets thick on your back.

And historically we have a fire once every 70-80 years that put yours to shame. Conditions have to be right but when they are look out. We have so much more fuel..... they don't stop until they hit the ocean.
I think I'd almost prefer one of those 70-80 historical fires vs. one nearby every or every-other year, Dave. I know what you mean about the growth/fuel on your side, though!

Latest posts