Fire ants

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
With all this rain we been having it seemed to multiply the fire ants 100 fold.
Everywhere I look there's a new mound.While checking cattle today found a bunch,or that is they found me.
Shore do hate them dam things.

Cal

Whoever finds a way to get rid of them should get a humaniteran award..

Calman":2fzp58zz said:
Everywhere I look there's a new mound.While checking cattle today found a bunch,or that is they found me.

Cal
They were there all along. They just have to build above ground after a lot of rain.

ga. prime":2vd3mywf said:
Calman":2vd3mywf said:

Cal
They were there all along. They just have to build above ground after a lot of rain.

Why in the he11 can't they just stay under and drown. :mad: :mad:

Cal

We have them all over, too. They just all come above ground when it's wet looking for higher ground. Like my flower pots! :mad:

I hear you, Calman.It seems like they're everywhere - in the yard, the flowerpots, the pasture, the garden. It's a shame they don't eat armyworms or vice-versa;at least in that case we wouldn't be battling both at the same time.

Calman":3rc1y1la said:
Why in the be nice can't they just stay under and drown. :mad: :mad:

Cal

That will never happen. Several years ago, we had a field totally flood. This field was under about 2 feet of water. You could look around and see things floating around the size of basketballs. The fire ants would cling to each other and actually float until they found a dry spot. That was one of the most amazing things that I had ever seen. Some of them floated for days.

When the water went down, the ants were right back in the ground.

grannysoo":32abnx0l said:
Calman":32abnx0l said:

Cal

That will never happen. Several years ago, we had a field totally flood. This field was under about 2 feet of water. You could look around and see things floating around the size of basketballs. The fire ants would cling to each other and actually float until they found a dry spot. That was one of the most amazing things that I had ever seen. Some of them floated for days.

I have seen this Grannysoo. Gotta admit it sure is something to see.
Kinda reminded me of the monsoon seasons when serving in korea.Rivers got up and every now and then you'd see a roof top floating down the river with mammason and pappasan sitting on it.

Cal

Calman":y2ul70qq said:
ga. prime":y2ul70qq said:
Calman":y2ul70qq said:

Cal

Cal

Hel Cal...there ain't nobody down there to sting the snot out of. :lol2:

grannysoo":1y8ew9lv said:
Calman":1y8ew9lv said:

Cal

Reminds me of that mcgyver where the place flooded and all them far ants was around. Down in south america I believe. That was long before far ants became prevelant around cheer.

grannysoo":1d5p50fc said:
Calman":1d5p50fc said:

Cal

Grannysoo,I just happend to see a video of this on the tube. When the water rises over them the actually build a raft by hanging on to each other and put the queen in the middle to protect her then they will float until they reach high ground.Then drag her off and build a new nest,and start all over.

Cal

grannysoo":1sw5c1g0 said:
Can you imagine catching a basketball made out of fireants? I know a few people I'd like to throw that too. :mrgreen:

Wife gets eat up by em every year. They must not like me cuz Ive never gotten hit yet.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3vm0qi0u said:
grannysoo":3vm0qi0u said:
Can you imagine catching a basketball made out of fireants? I know a few people I'd like to throw that too. :mrgreen:

Wife gets eat up by em every year. They must not like me cuz Ive never gotten hit yet.
Thats to bad, you dont know what your missing. Maybe they are just afaraid of the mean man.
Tom

If you want to rid your place of fire ants try Orthene powder. Punch a few holes in the foil top and use it like a salt shaker over the mounds and lightly dust them. Come back in six hours and they will be graveyard dead. If you come back any sooner your dark side might get a kick out of wathing them squirm.

Jogeephus":1bv6uedp said:
If you want to rid your place of fire ants try Orthene powder. Punch a few holes in the foil top and use it like a salt shaker over the mounds and lightly dust them. Come back in six hours and they will be graveyard dead. If you come back any sooner your dark side might get a kick out of wathing them squirm.

I wonder who and how many on here will sprinkle the Orthene, and pull up a chair.

jcummins":16dsryxo said:
Jogeephus":16dsryxo said:

I wonder who and how many on here will sprinkle the Orthene, and pull up a chair.

:lol2: :lol2: Guess it would depend on how bad they'd been bitten in the past.

Jogeephus":1nd37bzz said:
jcummins":1nd37bzz said:
Jogeephus":1nd37bzz said:

:lol2: :lol2: Guess it would depend on how bad they'd been bitten in the past.

That would be me :lol:

Latest posts