Fire Ant Shuffle

Help Support CattleToday:

Amdro is the best way to control fire aints that I have found. It takes a while to work but the results are lasting. The CoOp has it in 50 lb. bags and I think 50 pounds will cover 20 acres. I don't know what they are mixing it with to spred it that thin but it works.

mscamp, I don't think we're talking about the same ant, our's is much smaller then yours. It is absolutely amazing how many of these devils can get on you in a heartbeat and you not even know their there until they all bite! I've come out of my clothes in mixed company and your right, people just understand. When they bite it's like a thousand lit matches stuck on your skin. I get whelts the size of a nickle to quarter and a small pus filled head in the center. If you scratch the head off it starts to sting all over again and I have a bad time scratching them and then getting the sores infected. I actually have scars from the darned things!

msscamp":f85awz9i said:
I've been reading the posts about fireants, and I'm curious as to what is the difference between the fireants of the south and the red ants (what we call fireants) up here? I've tried to google it and didn't come up with much. Help? Thanks!
The difference is about like comparing bumble bees to killer bees. Bumble bees may be bigger and possibly a worse sting but you really don't want to mess with killer bees. That is the best way I know how to describe it.

Todd, it was never my intent to compare them - I am just trying to understand what you guys are talking about, that's all.

Thanks for all the responses, I have a much better understanding of the fire ants you're having to deal with because of them. I very much appreciate all the explanations and comments. :)

msscamp":1ojrfdy7 said:
Todd, it was never my intent to compare them - I am just trying to understand what you guys are talking about, that's all.

Thanks for all the responses, I have a much better understanding of the fire ants you're having to deal with because of them. I very much appreciate all the explanations and comments. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were. I was trying to give everyone a better idea as to how aggressive they are.

I now know what you mean by the fireants, my Husband was bitten by them when we were in Louisiana, his hand swelled and blistered and he said it itched for ages. he still has a red mark on his wrist, from them

I'm sure the type of fire ants msscamp and I have around aren't the same type you folks down south have to deal with - thankfully! Those do sound bad. Got a good laugh out of the description of the fire ant shuffle though...:lol2: :lol2: Can picture it but hope I don't ever find myself in that position!

Tod Dague":1mdlhav1 said:
msscamp":1mdlhav1 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were. I was trying to give everyone a better idea as to how aggressive they are.

No apology necessary! :)

I was reading over some of this and thought I may need to clarify a few things for our northern neighbors.

"shucking my cloths" - verb, shuck-n, often used in the south for a quicker way of saying. To remove clothing in a non-orderly fashion.

"Wallow it in the mound a little" - verb, wal-r, a word used to describe a method of moving something side to side and back and forth.

"Bout ten years ago" - discriptive term meaning nearly or close to.

"squatin over a fire ant mound" - verb, squat-n, the act of gingerly bending at the knees as to assume a sitting position without actually sitting on anything.

"put a hurt on em" verb, used as a term to imply drastically reducing something.

I hope this helps with some of the translations, we do tend to have our own language.

I did the shuffle myself this morning! Came out of my boots and socks anyway. Then I stepped in some stickers when I was trying to get away. Insult to injury!!! :eek: :shock:

Latest posts