Fire Ant Products

Help Support CattleToday:

barceranch

Reaction score
Hello, looking for some insights on two products for fire ants. One is Amdro Pro, the other is Extinguish Plus..I have a few cows and horse that I wish to work on their pastures, I live in east TX so I'm looking for some feed back good or no so good. Nacogdoches is the largest city west of me hopefully I can find them or a product there that would help.
Thanks

I've used Extinguish the last 3 years running. Works better than anything else I've used. I buy the 25 pound bag-$7 and change per pound. The one pound canisters are $13/lb. It can be broadcast at the rate of 1lb/acre. Fertilizer people will mix it with fertilizer and spread it for you. I don't have enough ants to justify that so I ride around on the four wheeler and sprinkle 2 or 3 tablespoons on the mounds. I can do over 100-150 acres with 25 lb. In two or three weeks pastures and lawn are ant free. A few will start showing back up in the Fall. No withdrawal time for cows. I've never used the Amdro Pro. It's probably good too. I'd get whichever is least expensive. Both the ones you mentioned are baits and kill the ants insidiously. They never suspect a thing. I much prefer the baits to poison. Poisons have to be sprayed or broadcast over the whole field in order to be effective. Treating single mounds with poison is inconsequential to the fire ant population because the ants will simply move over a few feet to where there is no poison.

Latest posts