Fire ant bites!

Help Support CattleToday:

myakka145":mj2nknf4 said:
Break them open and dab with ammonia. The inject you with an acid and the ammonia neutralizes it. They clear up very quickly this way.

Or you could just pee on your leg, or better yet have a friend do it.

The other night I was pulling the strings off a roll of hay and the dang ants had built a nest int the roll. I had the roll up in the air and I got showered in the vile creatures. They ate me alive. I hate them.

Jogeephus":1nlay58u said:
The other night I was pulling the strings off a roll of hay and the dang ants had built a nest int the roll. I had the roll up in the air and I got showered in the vile creatures. They ate me alive. I hate them.
Did you take Treys-L's advice but with a full body application?

:lol:

novatech":3ns2dvmd said:
Jogeephus":3ns2dvmd said:
Did you take Treys-L's advice but with a full body application?

:lol:

Nahh! They are annoying but I've been bit, stung, poisoned, scratched, poked, punched and bruised so many times I'm just one big whelp so they just don't really bother me that much anymore.

kenny thomas":3cah8vch said:
Do they go dormant in the winter? Or do they still come out on the warm days? At what temp will they not survive?
They never go dormant. Even on a cold day they will come out if you disturb the mound. I really don,t know how far north they go. I assume they stay where the ground does not freeze.

novatech":1aeypi84 said:
kenny thomas":1aeypi84 said:
Do they go dormant in the winter? Or do they still come out on the warm days? At what temp will they not survive?
They never go dormant. Even on a cold day they will come out if you disturb the mound. I really don,t know how far north they go. I assume they stay where the ground does not freeze.

Heck if the ground freezes I think they just dig deeper and wait for the thaw. Same in extremely dry weather. They just dig down deeper and wait for a rain.....first rain all the ant hills will have fresh new dirt piled up on it and they'll be foraging again.

myakka145":3ija8qxi said:
Break them open and dab with ammonia. The inject you with an acid and the ammonia neutralizes it. They clear up very quickly this way.

It is the same for a wasp or yellow jacket sting. Put ammonia on it and the pain stops immediately. Nuetralizes the venom just as you say.

backhoeboogie":jiefdhz4 said:
myakka145":jiefdhz4 said:

It is the same for a wasp or yellow jacket sting. Put ammonia on it and the pain stops immediately. Nuetralizes the venom just as you say.

Grandmaw would put a blob of Garrett's snuff on a wasp sting. Can't remember if it worked or just got your mind off the sting.

TexasBred":16o9cnzq said:
backhoeboogie":16o9cnzq said:
myakka145":16o9cnzq said:

Grandmaw would put a blob of Garrett's snuff on a wasp sting. Can't remember if it worked or just got your mind off the sting.

I tried that ONCE. It is hard to believe you don't remember how bad it hurt. Amonia kills the pain immediately. It is cheap. Amonia bottles are in the truck, tractor, etc.

I like to have some fun with them. Pour some instant grits out around the mound. They will spend ALL day hauling them in. Then they will spend ALL day the next day hauling them out :)

When we have freezing weather I can take a shovel and dig into the mound real deep (and real quick)-- and the mound never gets rebuilt. so they either left or froze.