Finishing ration question

Help Support CattleToday:

willow bottom

Reaction score
I've used the search feature on this site, but haven't found the answer i'm looking for.

I plan to feed out a few steers for around 100 days while still on pasture. I'm looking for a simple ration mix to feed them.
For example:

-75% shelled corn
-25%oats
I'm wanting to mix my own and feed with buckets, any help?

Home grown oats is as rare as hens teeth around here. IF you are buying ingredients I'd consider cost.
simple ration 11 - 11.5% protein
1 ton mix
(95%) 1900 lbs shell corn
(5%) 100 lbs soy meal or pellets
1 ton = 100 days @ 20 lbs per day = 3 steers getting 6.6 lbs of grain per hd/day

Son of Butch":wawbqj20 said:
Home grown oats is as rare as hens teeth around here. IF you are buying ingredients I'd consider cost.
1 ton mix
1 ton = 100 days @ 20 lbs per day = 3 steers getting 6.6 lbs of grain per hd/day

Pretty rare around here too. Thanks

What feed ingredients are available in your area, how much storage space do you have and how do you intend to mix?? Thanks.

Son of Butch":2qickuky said:
1 ton mix
6.6 lbs/ day is not going to finish a calf. They need 2.5 to 3% of body weight in feed An 800 lb yearling would need 20 to 24 lbs of feed per day.

TexasBred":2akujl0q said:
What feed ingredients are available in your area, how much storage space do you have and how do you intend to mix?? Thanks.

would be feeding them with buckets so mixing by hand. In my area soybean meal, corn, corn gluten meal, cotton seed

BC":1zg67sl1 said:
Son of Butch":1zg67sl1 said:
1 ton mix
6.6 lbs/ day is not going to finish a calf.
They need 2.5 to 3% of body weight in feed An 800 lb yearling would need 20 to 24 lbs of feed per day.
How much grain does Grass Fed beef finish on?

Willow said they are on pasture, not in a feed lot.
6 lbs for 100 days will take the 'gamey' flavor edge off grass fed beef.
6 lbs for 2 weeks is good way to introduce yearlings to grain. Can certainly double the grain once they've adjusted.

Son of Butch":2r3yx8su said:
BC":2r3yx8su said:
Son of Butch":2r3yx8su said:
1 ton mix
6.6 lbs/ day is not going to finish a calf.
They need 2.5 to 3% of body weight in feed An 800 lb yearling would need 20 to 24 lbs of feed per day.
How much grain does Grass Fed beef finish on?

Willow said they are on pasture, not in a feed lot.
6 lbs for 100 days will take the 'gamey' flavor edge off grass fed beef.
6 lbs for 2 weeks is good way to introduce yearlings to grain. Can certainly double the grain once they've adjusted.
He did not say they were grass finished. He said they were on pasture and he wanted to finish them. If you want to finish a calf you have to feed it something high in energy whether it is grain or an annual forage crop that is managed for high quality.

willow bottom":3joe1xz5 said:
I plan to feed out a few steers for around 100 days while still on pasture.
Kind of hard to train them not to eat grass while on pasture.
Size of pasture is not stated, so could be 4 acres per head and plan might be to start come spring when it's knee deep.

Son of Butch":3vxstq7z said:
willow bottom":3vxstq7z said:
I plan to feed out a few steers for around 100 days while still on pasture.
Kind of hard to train them not to eat grass while on pasture.
Size of pasture is not stated, so could be 4 acres per head and plan might be to start come spring when it's knee deep.
You don't have to train them to do anything. Put the dam feed out and they're tear that grass up getting to the feed. Then go back to eating grass if they're still hungry. Very few finishing rations are "all grain". Gotta hae roughage too.

The last steer I finished was actually on pasture with my heifers...he came to the barn daily with the heifers...
I give the heifers a couple of lbs per head per day of 16% pelleted feed and worked him up to about five lbs of cracked corn and five lbs of 16 percent pellets for about ninety days and he is pretty good eating...

Latest posts