Finishing out a beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I have heard a few different opinions on how to finish out a beef to butcher. If everyone would tell how they do it, what they feed from grain to grass. Any types of salt, minerals etc...some people who already know how to finish a beef might be learn things to improve what they already know. Anything at all that has to do with finishing a beef for butcher. Some has told me it is important to put the animal in small acreage pasture while finishing if you are grain finishing ?

Mine are on grass all summer and get a little bit of grain as a treat plus good water and mineral blocks. The last 6-8 weeks I lock them in the barn and feed good 2nd or 3rd hay and grain. Usually butcher middle of November

I'm learning by trial and error. The first two I finished were fed a ration with quite a bit of corn gluten. Others have said that it affects the taste of the meat. The first calf I didn't notice it as much but a hint, the second one was on a different ration with a higher percent of corn gluten and it was very noticeable. I keep ours in a small lot with access to a shed for at least 90 days usually a little longer as I like to build them up to full feed slowly. Preferably corn but sometimes have to mix a little something else with it if they don't take to the straight corn. Right or wrong I give mine the same mineral that the other cattle get, maybe switch over to white salt a little bit before processing. We try to handle them as easy as possible when loading to take off so as not to get them excited

I feed strictly corn (with free choice grass or hay) for the last 60-90 days before slaughter. I start with just a couple of lbs a day and increase until the last few weeks they are on free choice corn.

As an aside, I keep seeing all these ads and videos about "grass-fed" beef. The last I checked, all beef is grass-fed to a degree. They avoid saying "grass-finished" which is much harder to do. Good marketing I suppose.

I feed strictly corn (with free choice grass or hay) for the last 60-90 days before slaughter. I start with just a couple of lbs a day and increase until the last few weeks they are on free choice corn.

As an aside, I keep seeing all these ads and videos about "grass-fed" beef. The last I checked, all beef is grass-fed to a degree. They avoid saying "grass-finished" which is much harder to do. Good marketing I suppose.
"Grass fed" is almost meaningless on a label. Corn is a grass.

We don't run as hard as we used to, but we feed out cattle for a living. Receiving cattle whether bought or weaned get ground hay, .75-1% body wt cracked corn, and Purina 36 O B 500 supplement. Once they get eating well we start introducing corn silage. Replacing the hay. 45-60 days in start uping the corn. Once I get them going I like to up them 1/2lb A week. Some where around 1,000lbs we switch to a 4020 RUM supplement. Those cattle all finish 18-22 mos old.

Used to manage a feed lot that I used the same work up program for, but once I got them to 22lbs of shell corn/day they went to a self feeder. Shell Corn and 4020 RUM, with corn stalks for roughage.
After a generation change I now consult for that feed lot. They have gone away from silage. The receiving cattle come off the trailer and straight on a self feeder. They use Purina Acuration now. Took 60-90days off there finish time. It's a trade off, there finish wts are not as heavy as they used to be.

All these cattle are fed either on concrete or slats.

Did you start with a lower %Protein on the 4020 RUM and work up or use the same ration thru out the last part of finishing?

Did you start with a lower %Protein on the 4020 RUM and work up or use the same ration thru out the last part of finishing?
Once we switch over to RUM the % protein stays the same. We kind of plato the corn out around 20lbs, but the silage is made out of corn that made 200+ bu/acre. So it's kinda hot silage.

We don't run as hard as we used to, but we feed out cattle for a living. Receiving cattle whether bought or weaned get ground hay, .75-1% body wt cracked corn, and Purina 36 O B 500 supplement. Once they get eating well we start introducing corn silage. Replacing the hay. 45-60 days in start uping the corn. Once I get them going I like to up them 1/2lb A week. Some where around 1,000lbs we switch to a 4020 RUM supplement. Those cattle all finish 18-22 mos old.

Used to manage a feed lot that I used the same work up program for, but once I got them to 22lbs of shell corn/day they went to a self feeder. Shell Corn and 4020 RUM, with corn stalks for roughage.
After a generation change I now consult for that feed lot. They have gone away from silage. The receiving cattle come off the trailer and straight on a self feeder. They use Purina Acuration now. Took 60-90days off there finish time. It's a trade off, there finish wts are not as heavy as they used to be.

All these cattle are fed either on concrete or slats.
When you say 75-1% body wt cracked corn. Does that mean 1 % cracked corn per 75lb body weight ?

And what is Purina O B 500 supplement ? What is 4020 RUM ?

we graze on grass and hay free choice until 16 to 18 months then lot up and feed ground cobb corn ,soybean meal,ddg at 12% protien, 25 lbs a day first 30 days ,40 lbs next 30 and free choice the last 40 days ,clean water, mineral and hay free choice all the time. works for my customers

When you say 75-1% body wt cracked corn. Does that mean 1 % cracked corn per 75lb body weight ?

And what is Purina O B 500 supplement ? What is 4020 RUM ?
3/4 of a % to 1% of their body weight. So a 500lb str would get started at 3.75 - 5lbs of cracked corn a day.

Purina 36 O B 500 is a 36% all natural protein with Bovitec.
Purina 4020 RUM is a 40% finisher protein with Rumensin.

3/4 of a % to 1% of their body weight. So a 500lb str would get started at 3.75 - 5lbs of cracked corn a day.

Purina 36 O B 500 is a 36% all natural protein with Bovitec.
Purina 4020 RUM is a 40% finisher protein with Rumensin.
Thanks

Latest posts