Finishing feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
Im looking to finish a 1,000lbs steer. If I mixed a 50lbs bag of cracked corn and a 50lbs bag of "sweet feed" would that make a good finisher for this steer? Of course i would combine more then 100lbs total I'm just wondering if this would make a good finishing feed or not?
I've been asked to provide beef for a local high school culinary class and have never "finished" a steer for slaughter before. Because it is a school, cost is the concern as I am doing this for NO profit and they are on a small budget.
Any input is appreciated
Have a good weekend all

Will be interested to read the replies. I have fed small numbers over the years. And early on tried mixes and added supplements. For the last several years I just feed cracked corn and give them a flake of alfalfa at each feeding. It has worked well for me. Not sure it is the cheapest anymore. We butchered one in July and another will go in October. As an old feedlot manager told me if you feed them corn long enough anything will be tender. I fed one sack of a steer feed(similar to sweet feed) when the local feed store was out of crack corn. It was a lot higher. I know there are other options and will be interested to read them.

What breed, and how quick do you want him finished, and what weight?
For finishing, the more corn (or energy) the better. If the steer is already on feed, just keep increasing the corn over the next 3 weeks, maybe quicker if you need him sooner. Do that till the ration is about 80-85% corn. With free choice hay, and all he can eat feed.

Whole, ground, cracked, any type will work. You shouldn't have any problems getting it to 1100 by some point in October, if it's been on feed already.

60% chopped or ground corn
30% soybean hulls
10% soybean or cottonseed meal.

Break it down to a minimum of two feedings per day along with hay.

Brute 23":1mw9ladd said:
TexasBred":1mw9ladd said:
30% soybean hulls

How much per feeding?
I'd feed it free choice. Consumption might actually be a bit less when fed free choice than when limit feeding but if you choose to limit feed it I'd feed 1.5% of body weight and continue increasing as steer grows.

TexasBred":1b6vqa0k said:
Brute 23":1b6vqa0k said:
TexasBred":1b6vqa0k said:
30% soybean hulls

How much per feeding?
I'd feed it free choice. Consumption might actually be a bit less when fed free choice than when limit feeding but if you choose to limit feed it I'd feed 1.5% of body weight and continue increasing as steer grows.
TB - from what I understand, this steer is already 1000#. Do you recommend a higher protein ration than straight corn + good hay on a 1000# steer?
HanknCali - Has this steer been on feed? or is he grass fed up to this point? You are talking about feeding 30-45 days.

HanknCali - "Has this steer been on feed? or is he grass fed up to this point? You are talking about feeding 30-45 days."

No feed to this point,,, getting ready to finish him out

Jeanne - Simme Valley":27m8pzvf said:
TexasBred":27m8pzvf said:
Brute 23":27m8pzvf said:
How much per feeding?
TB - from what I understand, this steer is already 1000#. Do you recommend a higher protein ration than straight corn + good hay on a 1000# steer?
HanknCali - Has this steer been on feed? or is he grass fed up to this point? You are talking about feeding 30-45 days.
Guess I missed the part about him already weighing 1000....but all I'd do is delete the protein source (SBM or CSB) but leave the soyhulls in it if they are readily available. Should eliminate any chance of steer going off feed. If the hulls are not available just go with corn.