Finishing cattle on grain for slaughter in TN

Help Support CattleToday:

kavik

Reaction score
I usually sell my steers at the auction as feeder cattle, have one that was born earlier than the rest and want to take him to be slaughtered for my freezer. My cows run on pasture all spring/summer with mineral salt out for them. I have some wild onion and I talked to some people around here and they said this time of year I need to finish the steer out on grain, not on grass to make sure there is no "onion" taste -

What exactly is involved in finishing it on grain, what do I feed it / how long / etc to get it ready to go?
Dairy feed and crushed corn? Hay? He already weighs enough to be slaughtered.
Thanks!

How much does it weigh now? Personally, I put as much grass weight on it I can then put the last 3-400 lbs on it with hay and a complete feed ration fed free choice once it is acclimated to it.

I like to get mine close to the frame size that I want, and then grass/grain them for 90 days or so. The last 90 days is when that frame really gets filled out.

They stay on the best grass that I have available, supplemented with free choice quality hay, and then supplemented with 1 to 2 % of their bodyweight in grain.

Many others may grain them harder, but this works good for me.

kavik":1exg73y6 said:
I usually sell my steers at the auction as feeder cattle, have one that was born earlier than the rest and want to take him to be slaughtered for my freezer. My cows run on pasture all spring/summer with mineral salt out for them. I have some wild onion and I talked to some people around here and they said this time of year I need to finish the steer out on grain, not on grass to make sure there is no "onion" taste -

What exactly is involved in finishing it on grain, what do I feed it / how long / etc to get it ready to go?
Dairy feed and crushed corn? Hay? He already weighs enough to be slaughtered.
Thanks!

Pm me and I can help you out.

Latest posts