Finishing calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
What are thoughts on best way to home finish calves? Been told hard to turn feed fast enough if doing anything wet. Is best way doing it creep feeder w a limiter in it? Results any less than traditional bunk feeding? That said, we have bunk space and silage and hay and access to dry feeds. Can deliver w j lor. Just not sure thoughts on best way. Reason is we want to control our own expense and destiny all the way through. Thanks!

Pretty broad question.
Are you asking if you should creep feed your calves while they are still on the cow?
or want to know what to feed after you wean? or both?
My calves get mom's milk & grass. After weaning, they get whole shell corn. I finish 1-2 steers each year now. They get all the hay they want & as much shell corn as they will consume until finished. We finish them at about 13 months of age. Been feeding fall born steers, so they are about 1200#.

Early grain feeding increases marbling.

creep feed while on the cow.
Wean and put on a growing ration... good place to use some of your silage
when they reach 900 lbs switch to finishing ration ie more shell corn

We creep while on mom, background w ddg and corn w free choice hay or pasture. My question is full blown finish. Can you do that out of a creep feeder effectively. I've seen guys do it that just aren't set up to feed efficiently. Maybe it's a straight up no?

Rniemann":178l5e7v said:
We creep while on mom, background w ddg and corn w free choice hay or pasture. My question is full blown finish. Can you do that out of a creep feeder effectively. I've seen guys do it that just aren't set up to feed efficiently. Maybe it's a straight up no?
Isnt that what the steer stuffers are for?
I think a lot have been finished that way.
Post your question on newagtalk on the livestock page. More finishers over there than here.

I guess I don't quite understand what you are asking.
The whole concept of "creep feeding" is letting the calves eat a grain of whatever choice while they are still sucking mom. A creep feeder is strictly a means of keeping Mom out of the grain.
So, are you asking can you finish them while they stay sucking mom? Well, yeah, suppose so, but you would have to make the "creep" gates bigger & pretty soon Mom will be in there. So, I really don't think that's what you are asking????

We have used creep feeding in the past when Winters are dry and harsh more to help the cow. We didn't see a big increase in WW but did see a positive with the cows health/condition. I think creep feeding has it's place some years and for weaning. Jmo