Finishing a steer

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a steer I am trying to finish out, I am guessing he weighs about 8-900 lbs. He is due to go to the processor at the end of June. The hay that I am feeding him now is 25% alfalfa and the rest grass. I am also feeding him an alfalfa corn mix. Does anybody have any suggestions on a better way to feed him out? Thanks in advance, Phil

Give him all the alfalfa corn mix (in a corn:alfalfa ratio of 75:25) that he wants to eat with free choice long hay available at all times, the hay only need to act as a filler and to provide a scratching action on the rumen, the nutrition he must get from the corn mix.

dieselbeef":20j8vp92 said:
search button works god on here

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

KNERSIE":20j8vp92 said:
Give him all the alfalfa corn mix (in a corn:alfalfa ratio of 75:25) that he wants to eat with free choice long hay available at all times, the hay only need to act as a filler and to provide a scratching action on the rumen, the nutrition he must get from the corn mix.

Knersie,
Thanks for your help.

Oh come DB sometimes we all forget and sometimes you get so many hits you get confused.

Finishing out a steer ourselves. Been feeding him a hay rotation of barley hay, alfalfa, and grass.
Plus he is getting ground barley, cob with mollases and a high fat soy bean meal. He is going in next month. I have had him on this feed for sveral months.