Finishing a steer

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a steer I am trying to finish out, I am guessing he weighs about 8-900 lbs. He is due to go to the processor at the end of June. The hay that I am feeding him now is 25% alfalfa and the rest grass. I am also feeding him an alfalfa corn mix. Does anybody have any suggestions on a better way to feed him out? Thanks in advance, Phil

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Give him all the alfalfa corn mix (in a corn:alfalfa ratio of 75:25) that he wants to eat with free choice long hay available at all times, the hay only need to act as a filler and to provide a scratching action on the rumen, the nutrition he must get from the corn mix.

OP
S

SPJ

Reaction score
dieselbeef":20j8vp92 said:
search button works god on here

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

KNERSIE":20j8vp92 said:
Give him all the alfalfa corn mix (in a corn:alfalfa ratio of 75:25) that he wants to eat with free choice long hay available at all times, the hay only need to act as a filler and to provide a scratching action on the rumen, the nutrition he must get from the corn mix.

Knersie,
Thanks for your help.

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Oh come DB sometimes we all forget and sometimes you get so many hits you get confused.

Finishing out a steer ourselves. Been feeding him a hay rotation of barley hay, alfalfa, and grass.
Plus he is getting ground barley, cob with mollases and a high fat soy bean meal. He is going in next month. I have had him on this feed for sveral months.

Latest posts