finishing a steer

Help Support CattleToday:

sambo

Reaction score
can anyone give me some information on finishing a 700 pound bull, soon to be a steer. what should the feed cost,what kind, how long,how much daily,when should he be pinned up and on full feed, how much is the slaugter fee, does the fee change if you want everything cut into steaks and roasts or hambuger. thanks for the help

This is a loaded question because it all depends on:

What type feed are you going to buy ... bulk or bag
What breed is he and how heavy boned is he

But to try and give you some idea
you will probably need at least two rolls of good hay
then you will need to figure about $1.50 - $5.00 per day for the feed - depending on what you are using and how you are buying. Now comes the iffy part. What is his feed conversion going to be or in other words how many pounds per day are you going to get for the feed you put in him - let's assume 2.5 pounds a day - assuming your finishing weight is 1200 lbs you are going to have to feed him for 200 days - so it could cost your anywhere from $300 to $1000 to finish him out.(As I said it all depends but one thing is for sure - it ain't cheap)

Butchering usually is by the pound hanging weight and doesn't matter too much how you cut him up. They normally charge x amount to kill, x amount to cut and wrap based on hanging weight.

Another thing that is sure, It will be goooood!

The last lot I fed out came to something like $94.60 per half steer for feed and hay, or right at $200 per steer.

Processing fees vary. There is a kill fee and packaging. Vacuum pack versus paper wrap. Some charge to tenderize round steak, if you want it tenderized. You can pay anywhere from 30 cents a pound on up.

Latest posts