Finished Hay this Year

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman":3gd03ps9 said:
I would like it to be known. East texans are considered a separate species. ;-) :hide:

I agree as a general rule when one of us leaves the county and
heads west the IQ goes up in both places simultaneously. :lol: :lol:
This curve is much more drastic in TB's part of the state actually closer to being a cliff
than a curve.

In England a trailer used to haul animals is called a float.

Wish we were through with haying. Just finished first cutting and about to begin the second. Have not hauled the first roll home to the barn yet.

M-5":3uaiiwlg said:
Parade float
fullfloat_lr.jpg

Hay trailer
Hay_bales2.jpg

Damn I needed a good laugh. Thanks

Caustic Burno":1uo9pavs said:
1982vett":1uo9pavs said:
:lol: Man O Man CB. Guess you are going to have to draw them pictures..... :D

It was a 26' float as well. It is quite apparent all these educated hillbillies have never
been to an East Texas parade. :nod:

What town is pulling floats down main street in this heat? Heat index yesterday was 102 and that was at 6:30 pm

Chance of rain this coming weekend CB. Maybe you'll get another cutting of hay yet.

James T":qy4kv1bw said:
Caustic Burno":qy4kv1bw said:
1982vett":qy4kv1bw said:
:lol: Man O Man CB. Guess you are going to have to draw them pictures..... :D

It was a 26' float as well. It is quite apparent all these educated hillbillies have never
been to an East Texas parade. :nod:

What town is pulling floats down main street in this heat? Heat index yesterday was 102 and that was at 6:30 pm

Chance of rain this coming weekend CB. Maybe you'll get another cutting of hay yet.

Exactly what I was afraid of when the spigot closed it would be chain locked shut.
I have my hay for the winter and am doing OK on pasture for now. It is starting to get dry here.
An inch or two wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.
The Trinity is still on flood and we are starting to need rain.
Go figure.

Coming back from College Station a few hours ago Precinct Volunteer Fire Department grass fire truck was looking for hot spots on the highway side of the fence. This ole countryside will go up in a flash if someone gets careless.

SteppedInIt":qg35emb2 said:
Two common trailers around here floats and lowboys. Float is a trailer where the deck "floats" or is above and over the trailer wheels. Lowboy is where the deck is lowered between the trailer wheels. LOL

What we refer to as a float does not have a dove tail. Back it up to a terrace and you can load a tractor

I mostly do hay. I've got one more cutting to go and then irrigate to set up for winter. We use handlines (a tool of the devil) and I'm already sick of them. Every year about this time the wife either threatens to sell our place or get a wheel line. She's a good, good woman though b/c she's always out there at 5 helping me move pipes.

M-5 is that you on the float in the back with your arms raised or is that highgrit?

I'm not big on the American chicken sign myself. And I don't associate with queers, fagots or liberals, so I guess it's not me. But we did get better than a 1" of rain Wednesday, and some more right now. So I'm going to get a third cutting of Coastal and a fourth cutting of Tif -9 Bahia grass.

I'm on my second cut now.. not looking great.. it's green but it just doesn't want to grow.. the june heat we had stunted everything and as much water as I can pour on it doesn't change a thing.. On some places I'm doing the 4th pass through the field since June 10th, and it's hardly a foot high.. other places (with more alfalfa.. likes heat) have done well... As it stands I'm probably going to be culling hard this fall.. 3 cows for sure, perhaps 2 additional, I'd rather keep a few extra replacement heifers since there may be a market for them next year.

Troubles with equipment.. I've always got something wrong.. I have a 1965 NH 282 baler, it's on it's 3rd engine, so you know it's seen a lot of hay.. I know it's history, and I'm estimating 750,000-1,000,000 bales.. When it works it works really well, and I know it well enough now I'm usually never down for more than an hour before I get it figured out.

That being said.. it's 11 pm here, and hopefully it's cooled enough to make it so my hay doesn't pulverize.. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to bale I go!

Latest posts