Finish

Help Support CattleToday:

To me he just doesn't look like 17 months.

He's a little old. Depends on what you do with him?

Don't take him to a fed beef sale.

If you take him to a sale, he will most likely go as a heavy feeder.
That is if he isn't to old. If he goes for kill you will be docked about
$10 per hundred. He maybe good for grass fed. But he is by no means fed. Needs at least 60 days hard feed.

At least that's the way I believe it would go up here.
The fats I watch go through the ring, are just round.

Taking a tangent here...

When you're butchering for yourself or selling privately, do you feed out to what might appear to be 'prime'(or as close as possible) or do you feed out to a bit leaner?
Ourselves, we'd rather butcher a bit leaner than prime. We know our animals, their age, the likelihood that the marbling is there without a lot of cover. 17 month old Kirby looks to be about the amount of cover we like.

Dun, you said you used him as a gomer. Did you give him hormones to increase his interest in the girls?

Chris H":b22v2bzg said:
Taking a tangent here...

When you're butchering for yourself or selling privately, do you feed out to what might appear to be 'prime'(or as close as possible) or do you feed out to a bit leaner?
Ourselves, we'd rather butcher a bit leaner than prime. We know our animals, their age, the likelihood that the marbling is there without a lot of cover. 17 month old Kirby looks to be about the amount of cover we like.

Dun, you said you used him as a gomer. Did you give him hormones to increase his interest in the girls?

No hormones, he was just the second horniest steer when it cam time to ship them out. Had help tagging and the tags got mixed for the one we were planning on keeping, but he did alright anyway.
I'm not sure how he would grade, we'll probably ultrasound him, as if it makes a difference. His date with destiny is 10-25 so he'll get a couple of pounds of grain a day and the same droughty pasture he's been on. I like to feed them till there is enough cover that they can hang without loosing meat. If we could have gotten an earlier date he would get wacked sooner. He's got about the amount of cover that I like, enough fat but not too much.

rocket2222":2ee6dqkq said:
Dun, do you name all your calves instead of numbering them.

They all are numbered. Gomers usually get named. Wife has names for all of them but I can;t remember them so I just go by numbers.
Kirby is 01-O6 sired by Above & Beyond (AI bull) out of P4 (wife called her Hoover).
The retained heifers are the only ones that I have to try to remember names for, that and the cows. Wife, for some reason, can;t remember K468 but she remembers her name. I'ld have to look it up. The deal is, if it keeps her willing to help me around the farm with whatever job comes up, she can call them darling as far as I'm concerned.

Dun

What was kirby's BW?

Had one born this year out of a good cow, always has 85-95 lb calves that grow like weeds.
Well this year she had a 40 pounder or so, calf never did catch up.
Always been healthy got right up and nursed.
Just not tall at all, same size as calves born this fall :shock:
Thick as can be round as a butterball and looong.
Should finish easy and early, will taste the same on my plate.
I am just glad this wasnt the cows first calf or she would be going to town.

MD

redfornow":3nlznjz3 said:
Dun

What was kirby's BW?

Had one born this year out of a good cow, always has 85-95 lb calves that grow like weeds.
Well this year she had a 40 pounder or so, calf never did catch up.
Always been healthy got right up and nursed.
Just not tall at all, same size as calves born this fall :shock:
Thick as can be round as a butterball and looong.
Should finish easy and early, will taste the same on my plate.
I am just glad this wasnt the cows first calf or she would be going to town.

MD

46 lbs, withing a couple of pounds of the other claves by that bull. The others are just growing a lot more then he did. That picture I posted a week or so ago of the skinny red cow with her calf, that calf was sired by the same bull and weighed an even 45 lbs.

They all are numbered. Gomers usually get named. Wife has names for all of them but I can;t remember them so I just go by numbers.
Kirby is 01-O6 sired by Above & Beyond (AI bull) out of P4 (wife called her Hoover).
The retained heifers are the only ones that I have to try to remember names for, that and the cows. Wife, for some reason, can;t remember K468 but she remembers her name. I'ld have to look it up. The deal is, if it keeps her willing to help me around the farm with whatever job comes up, she can call them darling as far as I'm concerned.

Wife named the first couple of calves we got back in the 80's, one of them was a little bit on the mean side, so I said we'll stick that one in the freezer, she like "oh no, we can't eat Tinkerbell" [that might not be the right name :)] Now she waits to name them after they have at least one good calf. She helps me alot though.

Latest posts