Finish

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Brought this steer in from pasture the other day to put on grain to finish. I have some doubts as to if he'll ever get finished! What do you all think?
kirby2.jpg

kirby1.jpg

I "Think" You know, you got a good doing critter there. 8)

I'm just going to through out a guess. Tell me how far off. :oops:

11 month old 3/4 Red Angus. going on feed for 100 days, will weigh around 1275 at that time. Will grade high choice or prime. :D

mnmtranching":3fcoykc8 said:

11 month old 3/4 Red Angus. going on feed for 100 days, will weigh around 1275 at that time. Will grade high choice or prime. :D

17 month old runt. Only about 950 lbs (guessing). The sooner I can get the butcher out the sooner he'll go in the freezer. Might be a week on grain, might be a month.
3/4 Red Angus 1/4 Polled Hereford

dun":2isuz6fj said:
mnmtranching":2isuz6fj said:

17 month old runt. Only about 950 lbs (guessing). The sooner I can get the butcher out the sooner he'll go in the freezer. Might be a week on grain, might be a month.

It's just that when people talk about grassfed genetics they forget that there are some tradtional breeds that will do the job

Dun

From the looks of his brisket & tailhead, I'd say he is close to being finished. I'll bet he will be some good eatin'. Just let us know when the cookout is.

Texas PaPaw":1qrkoc67 said:
Dun

From the looks of his brisket & tailhead, I'd say he is close to being finished. I'll bet he will be some good eatin'. Just let us know when the cookout is.

All on old droughty grass and crab grass. He hasn;t had a bite of grain since the spring breeding season. Even then that's all it was, an occasioanl bite. We used him as a gomer in the spring.

from what i see of that steer.he is pretty well finished.an ready for the butcher.you got the right idea feeding him a week or 2 before butchering him.he looks like he weighs 1000lbs to me.

dun":olqxpypq said:
dun":olqxpypq said:
mnmtranching":olqxpypq said:

It's just that when people talk about grassfed genetics they forget that there are some tradtional breeds that will do the job

Touche! :lol: :lol: He looks pretty much 'finished' to me - literally, as well as figuratively! ;-) :p

"Kirby" looks pretty well finished to me also. Might want to just feed him out for a week or so, before you butcher him though.

Limomike":96v4sj92 said:
"Kirby" looks pretty well finished to me also. Might want to just feed him out for a week or so, before you butcher him though.

That's the plan now. I had no idea he had put on so much cover while he was on that crappy pasture. I guess genetics of easy keeping cows plays into calves that will finish on grass.

Limomike":1pw7er3d said:
yep... and hes got some great genetics going for him!

??????????????? Great genetics?

And he's a 17 month old runt that weighs 950?

We know nothing about his carcass/beef value but he's got great genetics?

Just goes to show that pictures of "Fat" animals on here carry the day every time. :roll: :roll:

I would say that a 3/4 red angus and 1/4 hereford are some pretty dang good genetics.

MikeC":1x4b5hta said:
Limomike":1x4b5hta said:
yep... and hes got some great genetics going for him!

??????????????? Great genetics?

And he's a 17 month old runt that weighs 950?

We know nothing about his carcass/beef value but he's got great genetics?

Just goes to show that pictures of "Fat" animals on here carry the day every time. :roll: :roll:

I think the genetics he's referring to are those that allow an animal to finish on grass.
The other calves were slaughtered at 15-16 months and weighed around 1250-1350, but they had been on grain either at the backgrounders or the feedlot the whole time. I may run him across the scales to get a true weight on him before we butcher him to just get a better picture.

Dun wrote: I think the genetics he's referring to are those that allow an animal to finish on grass.

Not being argumentative, and finish is a relative term, but I have never seen any healthy cattle that WOULDN'T finish on grass.

MikeC":1hgpnilv said:
Dun wrote: I think the genetics he's referring to are those that allow an animal to finish on grass.

Not being argumentative, and finish is a relative term, but I have never seen any healthy cattle that WOULDN'T finish on grass.

My criteria for finsih is enough fat cover to allow it to hang for a couple of weeks without loosing meat from fold or over drying. I agree that most any animal can finish on grass. But the problem is at what age. If they could all finish at 16-18 months on grass there wouldn;t be such a search going on for genetics that can finish on grass. Too many need to be 2 1/2 to 3 before they are "finished".
I haven;t figured out why he is so darn small. The cow is now rasing a very good calf sired by a different bull. Of the few calves sired by him she's raising what looks to be the heaviest. The other calves sire by Ol Kirbys sire are all growing a lot bigger then he did. I'm hoping it's just one of those genetic blips that the cow and the bull just didn;t nick. I've seen it happen the other way with monsters, first time I've seen it with a runt.
That's part of the fun (frustration), you never really know how a nick is going to work till after the fact.

Latest posts