Fingers crossed!

Help Support CattleToday:

Day 6 and no coughing, snotty noses, lagging or droopy ears. Stopped bawling by the 3rd day and they're all eating well and pounding the mineral & protein tubs. Friend of mine came out with her pregnant daughter yesterday to do "baby bump" pics. That's a thing with city people? Whatever. But my calves were game. Well, Derby was humiliated, but she took it like a champ. All good!
I don't quite follow what is involved in baby bump pics TC. Were they bumping pregnant cows?

Ken

B gathered about 200 pairs today. Caught them in a trap. Split them kicking the cows back out. We hauled the calves to the corral by his house. That is about 15 miles from the trap. I hauled 4 loads of about 20 calves each. Calves are in a stout corral for about 4 or 5 days and then kicked out in a pasture until sale day. Cows stay up in the hills eating dry grass until winter sets in. Everyone doesn't have the option but separating them by miles does work well at weaning.

I don't quite follow what is involved in baby bump pics TC. Were they bumping pregnant cows?

Ken
Ken, I guess it's the new thing to post on social media the progression of a pregnant womans' belly/baby bump. And most of the posts I see are full-on belly shots. Eweee! Unless you're the daddy or close family members. Anyway, fully clothed here yesterday, and for some reason, she wanted pics with calves. To show what a caring mama she will be? I got nuthin'. BUT even my calves are docile enough to tolerate a shyt show with strangers & cameras, not even a week after they've been weaned.

Ken, I guess it's the new thing to post on social media the progression of a pregnant womans' belly/baby bump. And most of the posts I see are full-on belly shots. Eweee! Unless you're the daddy or close family members. Anyway, fully clothed here yesterday, and for some reason, she wanted pics with calves. To show what a caring mama she will be? I got nuthin'. BUT even my calves are docile enough to tolerate a shyt show with strangers & cameras, not even a week after they've been weaned.
Roflmao!
Every time I hear the phrase "shyt show"
I think of my day job!

Haha. O well. On to the next one!

I thought maybe new born calves might be relevant but can't see how weaned calves would be unless she plans on weaning the baby straight away. I guess there is a lot these days I don't really understand.

Ken

I thought maybe new born calves might be relevant but can't see how weaned calves would be unless she plans on weaning the baby straight away. I guess there is a lot these days I don't really understand.

Ken
You and me both Ken... And not saying anything bad about anyone's calves.... but no matter how tame if one had just gotten playful and kicked out, there could have been a disasterous result. A dumb pregnant woman with that much belly does not belong out in a pen of calves... especially one that is not the farmer or farmer's family.
I'm with you @TCRanch ... who wants to look at some big fat pregnant belly....I just don't get it at all....

Bahahahaha!
Seven is the WORST about sticking her nose where it dont belong. I went down to the barn on the 4 wheeler last night to grab a few squares for the kids in the pen. On the way back she trots right in front of me and just stops!! Then proceeds to want to stick her head in my face. (She ain't fazed by the 4 wheeler, I made the mistake of feeding her bottles off of it when she was still a baby) I'm about tired of having to smack her on the nose...
You bump her with the quad a few times and she won't be doing that.
😉

Not so patiently waiting for me every afternoon for cubes. They know what time it is! I always keep at least one bunk in the corral, so they're familiar with going in and it makes it sooo much easier if/when I need to catch them. I did have to treat a few for pneumonia, but otherwise they're doing great and they'll be 60 days weaned on the 10th. Buh-bye, weaners!!IMG_20211128_153052524.jpgIMG_20211127_153322176_HDR.jpg

Gender reveals are a big thing for the 'in crowd' i guess, and evidently require their female friends bring their husbands and boyfriends .. because the mom-to-be doesn't get enough attention at a traditional baby shower, where it's usually 'just the girls'?

TC, do you have them locked away when you put the cubes out and then let them loose or do you just do battle with them and push your way through?

Ken
Full out battlefield! I use the bucket as a weapon, but still ended up in a bunk a couple weeks ago and felt like the main course at a buffet - they just ate around me & whatever residual cubes were on me while I tried to get out. Savages!!!

They shore do look nice!
Great product ya got there. Your gonna miss em...
Thank you! They are fun, but NOT going to miss 'em. There's the excitement building up prior to & when I sell, followed by relief. And hopefully, a big, fat check.

Having a hard time narrowing down the heifers I want to retain; too many I really like.

Latest posts