Finding the one

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I have been reading another post about small operations vs large operations having the next great bull or cow. How will I know if this animal is in my herd? What do I look for?

denoginnizer":1ahqf17a said:
I have been reading another post about small operations vs large operations having the next great bull or cow. How will I know if this animal is in my herd? What do I look for?

Exceptional calves. Even then it takes a lot of promotion.

MikeC":1svczoy2 said:
Exceptional calves. Even then it takes a lot of promotion.
And that takes much more money than about anyone has. If you do have an exceptional animal it's hard for a small unknown breeder to get the right people to notice it.

Visit the front page of CattleToday - on the green pane to the left of the page, scroll down to "ASSOCIATIONS" Click on that word. Visit ANY of the associations and ask for information. It is all there. Seek and ye shall find!

DOC HARRIS

Marketing, marketing, marketing! Getting the animal to any and all shows that you can is an added bonus, because you can expose it to a lot of breeders and potential calf buyers in a short period of time.

Collect semen if it's a bull and give it to as many people that will take it.. the more progeny you can get on the ground quickly, the faster you'll be able to promote. And you really don't know what how good the animal is until you see it's offspring.

denoginnizer you can not learn to judge cattle and pick a great one from a high school or a college book. Too many factors involved in picking cattle. A few factors are structurally correctiness, good walking, reproductive charactors, guts, bone, flank, indications of efficent production, and an overall balanced apperance. Not a lot of people are fined tuned enough. I suggest you find knowlegeble people and go to registered sales and shows, picking up information from everyone and start building your knowledge. Another idea is buy a bull or heifer from a reputation show winning outfit that will show your purchase for you and hang out with them especially at the shows and learn from them. Showring isn't everything, but a good place to learn confirmation. Anyone can read EPD numbers, but phenotype is very important and much harder to master. That is what is happening to a lot of breeds, too much paper reading and not enough phenotype. Just my 2 cents. Take Care, Sterlingbp

It's hard for a small town guy to get noticed unless you advertise alot and sponsor alot. It take alot of money to get your name out probly at least $20,000 a year if you sponsor all the big shows and advertising fees.

Latest posts