Finding some bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

I appreciate looking at Charolais but haven't had the nerve to use one yet. Since I have a day job and it's just my wife home with kids, we can't always help a struggling cow right away. Can you find any calving ease Charolais that compare to the average angus?

I appreciate looking at Charolais but haven't had the nerve to use one yet. Since I have a day job and it's just my wife home with kids, we can't always help a struggling cow right away. Can you find any calving ease Charolais that compare to the average angus?
Yes, there are lots of Charolais bulls out there with 80 lb birthweights now. If your cows are 1300 lbs + they should be able to handle most any calf though.

1300 lbs is my top end. Most are around 1200. I keep the smaller easier fleshing heifers that can stay fleshy on only hay.
Same here, we don't put any females with Charolais bulls until after their second calf. We had 130 last year and touched one.

I remember when Charolais first got to my area in the early 70's. Yeah, a lot of people had problems using a Char bull with those little Angus and Herefords most everyone had. I did have a neighbor that was raising Santa Gertrudis that used used one on some of his grown cows, without any problem. Bred some Char cows to his Gert bulls, too. But I think there are more CE Char bulls these days. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought some Brahma x Chianina cows from a man who was breeding bucking bulls, a few years in a row in the 2000's, and I bred them all to a reg polled Charolais every year. Never had 1 calving problem out of them, just good white calves that you could nearly watch them grow daily! I also kept some of the heifers some years, and bred those 1/4 Br/1/4Chi 1/2Chars right back to a Char bulls when they were 18 mos old, and never had a calving problem with them either. 1st set of those heifers I kept, I bred to a Brangus..or might have been an Angus.. I don't remember, but they didn't like the smoky heifer calves much at the sale, as the white ones. The steers probably brought a few cents more than the white ones, but those Char-sired steers made up for it in weight at sale age. So after the first set bred to a Charloais, had no more problems than the ones bred to the black bulls, I just used the Char bulls every year after.

All 3 really good and stout. If you see them live - check out the hind legs and shoulders. 1st 2 appear to be post legged.
I have seen the last two in person and a good video of the two year old. They are not too straight.
They are definitely all meat machines.

Bought 7 heifer bulls last Saturday from a guy I have been buying from since 1993. Apparently they had a great bull sale, lunch and bar afterward with no cops or health officials to bother them. Kudos! Hope more follow in his tracks!

Finished our bull buying for the year yesterday. Saw the son of Final Answer in January and had to wait this long to place a value on him. The red bull was lead off bull, owners favourite and I feel that I stole him compared to what the other comparable reds brought.
They cost $8250 and $6250 respectively.
2EB71D9D-9A50-4033-9098-809FD819AADF.pngB280D7B8-CB89-4EA8-989C-86BB715520DD.png

Latest posts