finding carbon arc rods

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

The carbon arc torches were popular 30 to 40 years ago. They were used for heating or brazing. I would like a source for the carbon rods. The gouging carbons do not work, thanks

I've been in the metal business since 1980, the only carbon arc rods I know of are for cutting steel, like a cutting torch except using an electrical arc instead of a flame.
You should be able to buy carbon arc rods at a welding supply store...
Unless they quit selling them to try to sell more plasma cutters.

Hillbilly

Thanks for the comeback, hillbilly, I spent several hours looking at sites through the search engines. About 8000 sites I think,lol, anyway I found some carbons in Peru, India and Australia. Finally I found some carbons in New York state. And they are for AC current, which I wanted. Called the company up and have them on order.

curious...being in the metal working business myself, what are you going to do with these rods? You mentioned heating/brazing, is that the plan?

Hillbilly, what kind of work do you do?

eric":2wdor086 said:
curious...being in the metal working business myself, what are you going to do with these rods? You mentioned heating/brazing, is that the plan?

Hillbilly, what kind of work do you do?

I work at a custom fabricator [job shop]
I worked in the shop for 20 yrs.
Got fat and lazy so they made me a salesman.

Hillbilly

Eric, I have a carbon arc torch that I hook to an old Lincoln AC welder. I use it for heating small pieces of metal. And use a propane torch that I fasten to a 20 pound propane bottle for the bigger jobs.
I don't have an acetylene torch as I am to cheap to pay rent on the cylinders. For what little heating I do, my set up works good for me on my small ranch.

Latest posts