Finally Took Em (update)

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
Remember the story that went with the barn pictures? Well, the cattle have all been taken care of so lately it's been cleanup time, starting with the house. Hate to say it but the inlaws were hoarders. They threw nothing away and it's made for a hell of a lot of work. Of course the worst is papers. As much as you'd like to you just can't pick it up and throw it out because there might be something in there contains information we might need. BUT, if you like family history at all, there are plenty of treasures to be found. Tons of old pictures and letters etc. One of the most interesting things I found in the bottom of an old box of clothes were dozens of hand written grocerey reciepts from 1957. Now that's before I was even born. I can remember my own mom telling me how much things cost back then but it doesn't quit hit home till you see it in writing.

Another find of interest was a letter to my wifes brother. It was from a lady who had been on holidays in the area, looking for her familys homestead. That happened to be the old house and barn in the photos. He had run into them by accident and when they described the site he told them he had bought the property and took them to see it. As a thank you, along with the letter she sent two pictures of the home. The photos are apparently from 1910. What a difference a century makes.

scan0030.jpg

HPIM0937.jpg

scan0031.jpg

HPIM0938.jpg

That is really awesome! We used to have an old chimney on our place, and you could see where the house had been, but we didn't have any information about it. Sadly, the chimney was torn down a couple years ago so it would fall and hurt the cows or horses.

Yes it is pretty tough cleaning out the in laws stuff, but you do find tons of neat stuff. Still going through that.
My FIL had told me he wanted me to have some papers, never told me where they were. While cleaning out their place I finally found them. They were in the guest book that was signed by everyone at his 16yo brothers funeral. Found the obituary of the hubby's great grandfather. Found out that he knew Wyatt Earp. We about fell over. (Going to double check that.)

That is so cool to find the 1910 photo's! Thanks for sharing. It was a good looking place in its day. Wonder how many births and deaths the old house saw over the years? The house is too far gone, but could the barn be saved?

I like looking at old photo's to see how people lived back then, great old house shame it has gone to far to be restored. thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful house that was. Craftman style? Did you know back then you could order a house from Sears-Robuck? One in my hometown was.

I love old photos too! My wife has been hired by members of our community to reshoot today areas of our community that they have photos from 100 years ago too! I should be really interesting when she's done...
Not to be morbid or anything, but what usually captures my attention is knowing there's a good chance that all the people in these photos are deceased... I wonder what they would think if they were alive today to see what progress (or not) is happening in an area that they also called home 100 years ago...
There are still several Sears-Roebuck homes around here!
Thanks for sharing the photos!!
Chuck

Latest posts