Finally out on grass (7 pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
finally able to get the cows out on the grass after almost 2 months of fighting mud.... cows are a mess but it was a nice day to get some pictures taken....

Now I got it...

2nd day out
100_1539.JPG

100_1544.JPG

Next 2 pictures are of the same heifer calf. Born 3/29, out of OCC Legend 616L, momma is simmental... Keeper?

100_1569.JPG

100_1559.JPG

My overall favorite pair....calf is a heifer
100_1571.JPG

Dirty first calf heifer
100_1574.JPG

Im embarassed to show this picture but everyone seems to share only the good looking stuff... here is what the cows had to deal with for the last month.... Was able to get most of the cows in a pen before they calved, but had a couple born in this mess.... Have been real lucky so far, no sick animals...

100_1566.JPG

Here in the northwest we understand mud.......rain rain and more rain=mud.
Nice pictures that first one looks like you took it from a low flying plane!!!! :lol:

Blessings
applepie

The white cattle are British Whites. I have a handfull of these, all first calf heifers. I like them because they eat a heck of a lot less than my simmentals, and produce the same number of calves per cow per year. We'll see how they perform, just picked em up last fall.

The 1st picture was taken on top of a pile of topsoil that was scraped off where we are putting up a new grain bin right next to the pasture. The bin is gonna be 110' tall. Might make for some neat pictures, if I feel like climbing up there to do it....

How is the temperament of a British White? Wonder why we don't see them here in Texas. Looks like with their coloring they could take the heat okay.

How is the temperament of a British White? Wonder why we don't see them here in Texas.

From what I have heard temperament is a big selling point for these animals... they are said to be very docile, and calm. I havent had any experience to lead me to believe otherwise. Mine were kept close through the winter and fed hay, but never run through a handling facility (i dont have one built yet) But when they were close to calving I got them in a pen. One I was able to milk into a bottle without any kind of restraint, no halter, no headgate.... Even now out on the grass I am able to walk right up to most of them.

Texas probably has the MOST registered British White breeders in the US... you must not be looking in the right places.... :D http://www.britishwhite.org

Might have seen some and not known it. Could have just glanced and thought Charlois mix. I will keep my eyes open-would like to have some of those but maybe a mix since I probably wouldn't like registered prices. :)

they are excellent cattle, if you cross with angus you get alot of spots and people think they have longhorn in them. it is hard to breed out the spots

Nice cows.

We have a flat terrain corral arrangement at one of the barns which caused mud problems.We ridged it about 3 feet high and 20-30' wide allowing the water to flow to the valley portion. Greatly helped the mud problem.

Latest posts