Finally Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":tayfkd3t said:
I'm jealous.

The weather here has been no good for making hay. I finally got a 3 day window with no rain. Just got lucky really because today it rained all around us within a 1/4 mile.

We also have not had any hay making weather aside from a 4 day window about 3 weeks ago when we got the wheat made into hay. So we were supposed to have a 4day window here, after .5 inch Sunday. Cut Mon eve , and Tues eve, less than 20% through Sat. Well, we got hit with the 20% chance this afternoon just after I got done tedding a nice field of orchard grass. A little mature but it still was nice. Looked like a great day to dry and then rake on Thurs and bale on Fri. NOT. Probably got a couple tenths, will check rain gauge in a.m. Oh well, they said pop-up thunderstorms and downpours..
Glad the rain missed you, hope we can get ours up Sat.

pricefarm":280vv2qm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":280vv2qm said:
I'm jealous.

The weather here has been no good for making hay. I finally got a 3 day window with no rain. Just got lucky really because today it rained all around us within a 1/4 mile.
Today is day two of our three day window without rain. Hoping maybe to be able to cut ours tomorrow. Already has heads on it so it is diffidently ready to be cut. Praying that it doesn't rain in the next few days.

I mowed 4 acres of alfalfa last night in the rain/mist. Supposed to be 3 semi decent days ahead. Highs in the mid 60's and only 20% chance of rain Friday night. It won't make dry hay but I hope I can dry it down enough to bale and wrap. I've only made one small field so far this year. Been a wet one so far.

I'm very jealous. I don't have enough grass to turn the cattle out on pasture yet let alone think about hay. On top of that it rains every 2-3 days, usually at least an inch at a time it seems.

Looks good. Hoping to get three or four days strung together soon to get some more done. Johnsongrass is starting to come up in it. Usually don't see it much til second cutting. How do you like the XL baler?

A.J.":2ktpdl49 said:
Looks good. Hoping to get three or four days strung together soon to get some more done. Johnsongrass is starting to come up in it. Usually don't see it much til second cutting. How do you like the XL baler?

So far I like it. I traded for it last year after first cutting was done. I have put around 200 rolls through it with no problems. It starts the roll easy and I have yet to plug it up. It makes a good tight roll. I had a i series Vermeer before and this one seems to take more hp to run but it makes a lot heavier roll.

Glad you like it so far. We've got a Super I and it does ok, but we'd like to upgrade in next year or two. Ours just has the springs, so we'd like to get one with hydraulic tension that makes a tighter, heavier bale. See some XL balers for sale around here from time to time.

I had a really short window to make hay last week.. 7 foot high mustard.. was spitting rain when I cut it, and got rain 10 minutes after I baled it.. dang that was close.. got about 25 ton from 10 acres.. it'll make some turds

A.J.":s588ar1f said:
Glad you like it so far. We've got a Super I and it does ok, but we'd like to upgrade in next year or two. Ours just has the springs, so we'd like to get one with hydraulic tension that makes a tighter, heavier bale. See some XL balers for sale around here from time to time.

Yes the xl has hydraulic tension and you can adjust the pressure. What I like best over the i is the bale monitor. You just set what size roll you want and how much sting you want on the roll and it ties automatically. All you have to do is on the second beep is stop wait for it to tie them dump it. You don't have to cut the pto off either.

At it again this evening. Rolled 30 rolls and got it all stacked in the barn. Mowed some more this morning before work and hope to get it rolled on Saturday.

just baled over 100 rolls on the neighbors coal black bottom ground soil.. made 8,000 lbs of hay per acre.

INSANE!

ddd75":l8b2up6o said:
just baled over 100 rolls on the neighbors coal black bottom ground soil.. made 8,000 lbs of hay per acre.

INSANE!

That's a good yield. Last year me and a friend rolled 325 rolls on 30 acres for a neighbor. They where 4x5 rolls

That's the way to do it if you can. Even though rolls weather pretty well, keeping out of the elements really makes a difference. I have limited storage capability but in it I have a few of last years Coastal and it looks like I baled it yesterday (other than the chlorophyl leached out of the outer layer and it being brown.

Latest posts