Finally got some hay cut

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi all,
My computer pwr supply got hit by lighting, so just wanted to say hi. I bought a john deere sickle hay bine, stirex rake at an auction for 1800, I got every thing fixed after it broke :cry: , it took me nine days to bale 45 acres, & i only got 36 bales, using a 850 NH round baler. I had done a soil test & visited the extension office(last fall) on how to interput this test. I spent 2200 on lime. The extension office said that it would take 6 months to work. So I did not fertlize, because the agent said that I would be feeding weeds. I plan on fertlizing in the fall, at a cost of around 3000. My question is, should I fertlize in the fall or early spring? My pasture is thin. I plan on reseeding in early spring also. Any suggestions, or recomendations would be welcomed.
Thanks Dan.

D C In your and my location it usually is better to reseed in the fall. It also depends on what your are going to seed. There is more rain and cooler weather to keep it from drought and heat.

daniel.carver":3r3gp2hf said:
Hi all,
My computer pwr supply got hit by lighting, so just wanted to say hi. I bought a john deere sickle hay bine, stirex rake at an auction for 1800, I got every thing fixed after it broke :cry: , it took me nine days to bale 45 acres, & i only got 36 bales, using a 850 NH round baler. I had done a soil test & visited the extension office(last fall) on how to interput this test. I spent 2200 on lime. The extension office said that it would take 6 months to work. So I did not fertlize, because the agent said that I would be feeding weeds. I plan on fertlizing in the fall, at a cost of around 3000. My question is, should I fertlize in the fall or early spring? My pasture is thin. I plan on reseeding in early spring also. Any suggestions, or recomendations would be welcomed.
Thanks Dan.

Some pictures would help these fellows help you out alot I think.....

:shock: It'll be another month before we can get out to cut, we have had a weird year all around! After getting flooded out of our house this time last year and losing most of our hay crop under water to this year having no water or heat units we have had zero production so far, glad we have plenty of 2 year old that we elected to keep back last fall, we might need it this winter.

our custom baler started laying hay down yesterday afternoon.hoping he will start baling this evening or sun evening.

I hope you folks are getting more bales per acre than me. Im getting about half as much as I did last year. Almost no rain in April or May. Guess it is time to check the trailer tires.

Cabo":1169memy said:
I hope you folks are getting more bales per acre than me. Im getting about half as much as I did last year. Almost no rain in April or May. Guess it is time to check the trailer tires.
unless i miss my guess we should get 300 to 350 bales off about 150acs or less.an that is almost 2yrs worth of hay to us.an the baler man wants the 2nd cutting if we get the rain.

Latest posts