Finally got power!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of us wish we had lived closer, or were younger and could have come to help. Prayers seem 'inadequate' at times.

Don't fret too much about 'getting things fixed' back like they were. Believe me, I know it's heartbreaking to see disaster come and it's results, but all we can do is just try to improve on the ideas and ways we had back when we 1st built things and do it over best we can but with new materials and methods.
Like others in this thread, the flood I had made me a believer in nothing but HT going forward. Also taught me (again) who was really in charge of this place....it ain't me.

M-5":1uyz50y6 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1uyz50y6 said:
M-5":1uyz50y6 said:
I have a guy In iNDIANA that FFS hooked me up with that is going to drill fiberglass post for me. and I will not be stretching anything but HT where I replace fences.

Good deal. Reminds me that I need to call Larry this morning.

I am working with steve manner , Nice fella

Steve is probably one of the nicest people I know. :nod: Larry said Steve was handling your order when I spoke with him this morning.

greybeard":1k0x2weh said:
Lots of us wish we had lived closer, or were younger and could have come to help. Prayers seem 'inadequate' at times.

Don't fret too much about 'getting things fixed' back like they were. Believe me, I know it's heartbreaking to see disaster come and it's results, but all we can do is just try to improve on the ideas and ways we had back when we 1st built things and do it over best we can but with new materials and methods.
Like others in this thread, the flood I had made me a believer in nothing but HT going forward. Also taught me (again) who was really in charge of this place....it ain't me.
What he said. :nod: :nod:

When my place burned in the 2011 drought it took out a lot of fencing and left my place open to the neighbors. That part of his ranch was about 7000 acres of open range land. It amazed me that the cows never left even though there were patches of unburnt pasture that were way better than what I had left. They seemed to understand the situation and new it would be best to stay home.

Sometimes they arn't as dumb as you think.

I won't have anything but diesel gensets.. if they start today they'll start in 10 years. I have a Yanmar diesel, that thing is unbelievable.. -10F and it'll start on the first pull.. I start it once a year, on the coldest day of the year to make sure it's behaving

True Grit Farms":y976983r said:
M-5":y976983r said:
True Grit Farms":y976983r said:
Diesel fuel is where it's at, all the first responders bring tanks of fuel with them. My bad deal was water, my house is supplied from the well at the barn. I'm having a new well drilled on 11/27 for the house. We're also building an in ground safe room - cellar and canning a lot more food. Nothing beats a generator that's capable of running the whole house, AC and hot water is almost a necessity.
I'm sure glad you guy's are getting around to having power again, that makes things a little more bearable.

It would have been very difficult if it were not for your generosity on lending me your gen. I will have a PTO powered one under the barn If i ever get any new barns built.
You saved me a lot of headaches. I moved all my equipment into the open fields and sustained zero damage from trees and limbs. I'll also add from now on it's all big rubber tires for the cattle tanks, those plastic one's can't handle trees or big limbs. We sure don't need anymore storms to see what I'm lacking in preparation.

That's smart...... moving your stuff out in the fields I mean.

bird dog":3oeqqd4b said:
When my place burned in the 2011 drought it took out a lot of fencing and left my place open to the neighbors. That part of his ranch was about 7000 acres of open range land. It amazed me that the cows never left even though there were patches of unburnt pasture that were way better than what I had left. They seemed to understand the situation and new it would be best to stay home.

Sometimes they arn't as dumb as you think.
Lord I hope they ain't as dumb as I think they are..

Going to the FSA office on Monday. Any idea what to expect? Heard they were doing something with fence and trees.

When my place burned the FSA paid about about half the cost of new fencing. The fire started about 4 miles from my place so I was just caught in the crossfire. The wind was howling. Luckily I lost no animals. The USDA and their dozer crew made a stand on the creek that crossed my place. Their helicopters drew water out of my biggest pond and the dozers cut a fire brake and they stopped its advancement at that point. It was downright scary.

The FSA indicated it would be much easier to work with the big land owner and his crew so thats what I did. The FSA guys came out and looked around and offered a program to help reestablish the grass but I passed on it and a year or so later everything was back to normal. So all I can offer you Rockroad is to work with your neighbors and the FSA and try to help the FSA out by letting one contractor do most of the work. Everything will go much quicker that way.
Good luck.

Latest posts