Finally Got new Gelbvieh bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
After much shopping and research I bought my new Gelbvieh (Homozygous black / polled) today. I will post pics soon. I was looking for balance and I think I found that and more. His basic EPD's are as follows:
BW 2.2
WW 61
YW 100
Milk 19
CE 104
If you check the breed averages chart for Gelbvieh he is in the top 5% on WW, YW and CE so he has some good growth performance. He is slightly above average on milk and in the top 65% on BW. The BW number should come down with data as his sires did after his accuracies went up. He will go from a 3.9 to a 1.9 when the latest calf BW data gets factored in. The bull I bought EPD's for BW were based off of the 3.9 of the sire. I am not worried about using him on heifers. His actual BW was 82 pounds.
For those who care his Reg # is AMGV1021269
Phenotypically he looks great. Great muscle and long / thick for a yearling. A little more pinched in the heart girth than I like but I can live with it. At 11 months he weighed in at 1050 pounds.
I can't say enough good about the breeder. He was good in every way. I looked at 29 bulls. Narrowed it down to 5 on phenotype. Reviewed the EPD data (and cost :cowboy: ) on the 5 and then narrowed that list down to 2. Went back out and looked at the 2 and made my choice. Process took 4 to 5 hours with nary a comlaint from the breeder. He shared all of the vet and health records of the bulls as well as gave me a gaurantee on a BSE as well as a gaurantee that if I have any abnormal calving issues on the first calf crop that he will buy the bull back at full price or let me pick another equivilent bull. Of course I paid for the quality but it will be worth it. Breeder was also very, very knowledgeable of cattle in general especially Gelbvieh genetics as he flushes his own embryos, collects semen, AI's and implants etc.. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and I rarely say that when I am spending money :lol2:
For those who need a recomendation on a breeder in the southeast PM me and I will give the contact info.

Breeder also had some dandy Balancer bulls. I was almost tempted to buy one instead of the Gelvieh purebred. I decided to stick with the straight Gelbvieh as I figured it would maximize the heterosis when bred to mostly straight angus cows. Right now I am pretty happy with my choice and put allot of hard work into looking at bulls, EPD's, internet research on genetics etc..

HOSS":26kc5el9 said:
I am not worried about using him on heifers. His actual BW was 82 pounds.

I would be. Our gelbvieh bull is less than 2 on BW with an actual of 72lbs I believe, could be wrong off the top of my head. The average bw for the past few years of all the angus bulls was 72lbs, including heifers and steers. Haven't ran the #'s yet but most of the gelbvieh bull's calves have been around 90lbs for steers and 80lbs for heifers. Only had to pull one of 30some cows that were bred to him, a 105lb freak out of a 1000lb cow. We bred a simmi bull to about the same # of cows, his calves were slightly lighter but longer and leaner when they came. I might consider breeding heifers to him in a pinch but sleep a lot better using our angus bulls even though I'm not too fond of angus in general.

cfpinz

Angus/Brangus":3glr9y0w said:
Congrats on the new bull, Hoss!!

I'd like to see a picture of him. How old will your heifers be when you let him loose and what are the heifers average frame scores? A BW of 2 does not sound like much but could be depending on your heifers. Glad to see you got the BSE too.

Because we are switching to a spring calving season from a fall one our heifers will be a little on the older side (20 to 22 months). We stopped everything to get the calving on a spring cycle so the heifers will have age on them in May. Frame scores on my heifers are 5 on the smaller framed to 7 on some of the larger.

Pics soon coming!

cfpinz":1fe8758b said:
HOSS":1fe8758b said:
I am not worried about using him on heifers. His actual BW was 82 pounds.

I would be. Our gelbvieh bull is less than 2 on BW with an actual of 72lbs I believe, could be wrong off the top of my head. The average bw for the past few years of all the angus bulls was 72lbs, including heifers and steers. Haven't ran the #'s yet but most of the gelbvieh bull's calves have been around 90lbs for steers and 80lbs for heifers. Only had to pull one of 30some cows that were bred to him, a 105lb freak out of a 1000lb cow. We bred a simmi bull to about the same # of cows, his calves were slightly lighter but longer and leaner when they came. I might consider breeding heifers to him in a pinch but sleep a lot better using our angus bulls even though I'm not too fond of angus in general.

cfpinz

cfpinz, here is the link to my bulls sire. As his accuracy improved he went from a 3.9 BW to a 1.9 BW. My bull's EPD's were based off of the 3.9 listed on the sire. When I send in his registration I think I will see his BW drop accordingly as it will be factored off of his sires new 1.9 BW.

http://www.gelbvieh.org/search/animalin ... AMGV866825

I checked out the bulls numbers on the search page, not a bad choice i think that you'll be happy with him. The Atlas bull is a great heifer bull so I'm sure some of that got passed on. As a Gelbvieh breeder myself i haven't pulled any calves, calving ease has came along way in the breed. Good luck with him he looks like a money maker. :)

Latest posts