Finally got a squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

_H Ranch

Reaction score
After months of watching for a chute to pop up at a decent price, I finally snagged one. I didnt think it would be that hard to find, but there are a lot of people out here (Utah) that seem to want one as well. Not the fanciest in the world, but it will work :)

After months of watching for a chute to pop up at a decent price, I finally snagged one. I didnt think it would be that hard to find, but there are a lot of people out here (Utah) that seem to want one as well. Not the fanciest in the world, but it will work :)
Decent chutes in working order priced reasonably are scarce regardless of locale.
Looks like an old Powder River. If so, be aware that its easy to whack your head on the working levers/handles and cattle can sling the tail gate open. A piece of exterior plywood cut to fit & bolted to the tail gate resolves the problem.

Next up is an alley and some kind of tub? We got one a couple years back after my dad had his leg broken by a cow. After years of squeezing cattle between panels and fences by hand....I would never ever go back. So safe, so quiet, so much less yelling and wanting to kill your friends family and cows.

A squeeze chute is great - a couple words of advice though. If it has a side gate, make sure that latch is in good shape. But, don't make it so tight that when you actually need to use the side gate it "explodes" and ends up hitting you.

Also, make sure there aren't any odd places that an animal can catch a foot.

I got my first last year. Amazing what a difference it makes. Next I want a tub.

Bigfoot said:
Next I want a tub.

If you can, I'd suggest planning for a tub WITH an alley and an alley gate/rolling gate all as one functioning unit. I have a tub and it is excellent for safety and ease of working -- but I wish I'd just bit the bullet and purchased the add on alley and alley gate.

But perhaps someone that has an alley system would disagree, haha.

Congratulations, you'll love it! It's the same here in North Texas. We've bought the property across road from our home place a couple of years ago. Ever since then I've looking for a decent used squeeze chute and sweep to put over there . They're scarce has hen' s teeth. So we just move the cows back home to work them.

Thanks guys for all the advice. Ive got some spare time, might replace some rusty pieces and repaint. Thanks again.

_H Ranch said:
Thanks guys for all the advice. Ive got some spare time, might replace some rusty pieces and repaint. Thanks again.
Glad you scored a used chute & found the suggestions helpful! Generally speaking, reputation elderly chutes were made with high quality steel. That said if you intend to reinforce & paint take a good look at the condition of the floor & foot cleats.

A lot of those older Powder River chutes were not very long. They work great for yearlings but cows tend to be bigger than they were back in the day. They are still usable. It is just that a long built cow might not entirely fit into the chute.

Dave said:
A lot of those older Powder River chutes were not very long. They work great for yearlings but cows tend to be bigger than they were back in the day. They are still usable. It is just that a long built cow might not entirely fit into the chute.

For the time being only doing steers. Might upgrade if we start keeping cows and calves. Thanks guys.

Congratulations. I sure like mine. It's a used Preifert with a dolly so I can move it from farm to farm. Used plain head gates for years. Makes you appreciate a squeeze.

Getting it torn down....sanded....started primer....next will be paint. The floor is shot. Hopefully going to weld that up and replace with a friend on Sunday. All in all, the rest is in great shape.

Had a friend over who is welder replace the floor. All that is left is replacing the rusted out legs, putting on some traction bars on the floor, and paint