Finally getting some rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I'm glad for both you and Frankie, we have more rain forecasted for next week so hopefully this winter won't be as tough as the last two.

Calf prices are up about 10-15 cents (4-5 wt) in the past two weeks here. Guessing it has a lot to do with grass growing in areas getting some rain.

glad you got some I would gladly share I just put cows into a pasture today that is close to 50 oercent covered in water right now. Expecting heavy rain the next two days. Nothing like waking up on wed morning to find you are in a flood watch till friday night. Yehaw

All the time knowing come late July we will be begging for rain. A friend told me today since it rained on Easter that we will have seven sundays with rain in a row, anybody ever heard that one before?

Jeff

Haven't heard that one, but the Easter cold spell was right on schedule. Course we didn't have snow, sleet or freezing rain this time. Just a little frost.

My grandma always said that about a rain on easter.We have got a little over 2 in' today,first time since last june our creeks have had any water.

Honestly, a good portion of this state prays every day that they could be in as good a rain condition as you guys have been in even before the rain. There's only a small portion that even made it to the "extreme" drought level this week (as of Tuesday). South Central Texas has been in the "extreme" and "exceptional" levels of drought since October.

tx_dm.png

According to the local weatherman, the San Antonio to Corpus Christi area needs 15" of rain just to improve to the "exteme" drought rating.

According to the local weatherman, the San Antonio to Corpus Christi area needs 15" of rain just to improve to the "exteme" drought rating.

I wonder what your local weatherman would say about our situation, we don't even get 15" of rain in a normal year.

The USDA drought conditions are based on differences from the norm. For example, while parts of Arizona are drier than just about anywhere in the nation, they're not in a constant state of drought because that's the normal climate for the area.

Northtexas, I addressed that in my post. You just moved into that range this week. South Central Texas has been in D4-D5 since October. "Think before you post".

northtexas":8ke53k04 said:
Also, it looks like my Texas county was D-4 as well. About like SA's.

Think before you post.

Who are you talking to? Me?

It's not my "little graph", it's the USDA's definition of drought.

Tell that to the rancher who is watching his cattle die because of drought.

No rain since October in northtexas's case and no rain since mid November in my case (bearing in mind that there was a very hot summer between then and now) and no rain in San Antonio all equalls to no grazing, regardless of what the USDA or anyone else thinks about it.

northtexas":20ylt9ln said:
3.9 inches yesterday and last night combined.

I know it don't help your pasture but that deal just hung over the north edge of DFW. Sherman, Denison, got hammered. Did it go ahead and fall down to Little Elm?

A nice rain here at the house in LE, but we didn't get any more in Erath or Eastland county last night. The pastures are green enough - just need some water for the stock ponds or they will dry up in summer.

George

Tell that to the rancher who is watching his cattle die because of drought.
With all due respect, if you are going to reply to posts about official levels of drought, do a little research on what that means. Some of the driest counties in the nation are not in a drought.

"I could careless about your little graph."
"I could care less about some USDA drought image."
"Regardless of what you and your little USDA image says."
"regardless of what the USDA or anyone else thinks about it."

Let's not argue about who has the droughtiest drought and rather hope and pray everyone that needs rain gets it in a timely manner.

Latest posts