Finally getting organized

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I thought I would post a couple of pics of my "field kit" that I put together for tagging and banding. I got tired of trying to remamber which pocket I stuck the tools in or sticking my hand in my pocket into a sharp tag button. I would be interested in seeing what other folks use.

P3290011.jpg

P3290012.jpg

P3290013.jpg

HOSS":3cci0sst said:
I thought I would post a couple of pics of my "field kit" that I put together for tagging and banding. I got tired of trying to remamber which pocket I stuck the tools in or sticking my hand in my pocket into a sharp tag button. I would be interested in seeing what other folks use.

Wow is that thing clean!

I like the coat pockets with everything in them, kinda neat when you find something you thought you had lost forever in there. Added bonus is it weighs a ton and is good for weight training. :D

Looks real good Hoss, hope it stays that neat.

I will have to post a picture of the clamp we use for holding nuts when we band them. It's the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

3waycross":2tsqrqzo said:
Looks real good Hoss, hope it stays that neat.

I will have to post a picture of the clamp we use for holding nuts when we band them. It's the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

I would like to see that 3waycross. I am always looking for a better mousetrap.

grannysoo":1dd19wsw said:
Needs a little mud, grease and bovine excriment mixed into it before it will truely be complete. :nod:

I'm sure it will get there. It has only been afield once and I was able to save it from being stepped on by a nervous momma cow when Jr. was getting tagged and de-bagged.

We keep our tools and such in waterproof ammo cans. They don't have dividers but the stuff fits in anyway.

HOSS":2ear9gd5 said:
grannysoo":2ear9gd5 said:
Needs a little mud, grease and bovine excriment mixed into it before it will truely be complete. :nod:

I'm sure it will get there. It has only been afield once and I was able to save it from being stepped on by a nervous momma cow when Jr. was getting tagged and de-bagged.

That's neat. If I were ever to brave enough to leave the safety of my panels, gates and chutes I'd won't one. I gotta ask, if you kept the bag from getting stepped on by mama, what kept the mama from stepping on you and making you a wet spot in the field?

Jogeephus":i1ror8f4 said:
HOSS":i1ror8f4 said:
grannysoo":i1ror8f4 said:

That's neat. If I were ever to brave enough to leave the safety of my panels, gates and chutes I'd won't one. I gotta ask, if you kept the bag from getting stepped on by mama, what kept the mama from stepping on you and making you a wet spot in the field?

Thats how he protected it .He's got a hoof print in the small of his back. :lol:

rusty":q2wswbua said:
Thats how he protected it .He's got a hoof print in the small of his back.

:lol2: :lol2: Knowing Hoss though, he probably jack-slapped a pop mark across her head and with nerves of steel just stared her down and dared her to come back for a pair. :nod:

With me, I'd probably prefer one of those fanny packs you see some of those joggers use unless they make one for sprinters. ;-)

i like the way you have your kit set up an put togather.everything looks tobe within easy reach.

Jogeephus":13pwtcda said:
HOSS":13pwtcda said:
grannysoo":13pwtcda said:

I cull hard for disposition. If I have a cow that wont back off when I swat at her she gets shipped. I do use corrals if the calf is more than a couple of days old just so I can catch em'. I want my cows to tolerate me but stomp a dog or yote in the ground. Most of mine will. I have a couple more heifers that are going to calve and I will try them out in the corrals cause I don't know how they will react. Once I get a feel for them I will tag and de-bag in the field next year if they are gentle in the corral.

I'm too old and fat to dodge angry cows anymore so they have to work with me.

Jogeephus":2xcogd8u said:
rusty":2xcogd8u said:
Thats how he protected it .He's got a hoof print in the small of his back.

:lol2: :lol2: Knowing Hoss though, he probably jack-slapped a pop mark across her head and with nerves of steel just stared her down and dared her to come back for a pair. :nod:

With me, I'd probably prefer one of those fanny packs you see some of those joggers use unless they make one for sprinters. ;-)

I wish! I'd rather go up agin a rattlesnake than a mean momma cow. I do treat bulls like that if they get a little out of line. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

I used a cheap plastic tool box up until last Feb. when a heifer stepped on it. Now I use a metal tool box it has my bander, dehorner paste (but have yet to use it this year) tattooer ,and tagger as well as cotton swabs rubbing alcohol and gloves. The tags I keep in my office and prepare them as the calves are born . I label the tag and put it as well as the rfid tag in a snack baggie and then in my kit. That way I keep all the tags separate and do not get them mixed up as I am tagging multiple calves..

I also have a large stainless steel medical chest that has all my meds in it that do not need to be refrigerated, if I have an animal that is sick I grab my chest and I can takes it's temp and evaluate it and I have all that I need to treat it..It comes in handy when you get a cow locked in the chute,,you can give it the complete cocktail of meds without having to run back to the house.

hillsdown":26v08rh2 said:
I used a cheap plastic tool box up until last Feb. when a heifer stepped on it. Now I use a metal tool box it has my bander, dehorner paste (but have yet to use it this year) tattooer ,and tagger as well as cotton swabs rubbing alcohol and gloves. The tags I keep in my office and prepare them as the calves are born . I label the tag and put it as well as the rfid tag in a snack baggie and then in my kit. That way I keep all the tags separate and do not get them mixed up as I am tagging multiple calves..

I also have a large stainless steel medical chest that has all my meds in it that do not need to be refrigerated, if I have an animal that is sick I grab my chest and I can takes it's temp and evaluate it and I have all that I need to treat it..It comes in handy when you get a cow locked in the chute,,you can give it the complete cocktail of meds without having to run back to the house.

My left knee is a little sore--can I stop by after supper? Sounds like you have the whole clinic in a bag.

john250":fpumrkze said:
hillsdown":fpumrkze said:

My left knee is a little sore--can I stop by after supper? Sounds like you have the whole clinic in a bag.

Sure what do you need ? Predef, Banamine, a little Nuflor, LA, or maybe Trivetrin..How about an IV cocktail of dextrose...I can give you a shot of Gnrh and prostaglandin as well ,,don't know what the side effects be ,maybe a higher voice... :shock: :lol2:

Latest posts