Finally found a good AI tank.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
I've been using a little 10 liter old tank from work for my semen and it needed to be filled every two weeks. Finally decided to look for a different one, but couldn't afford a new one. I emailed the Select Sires rep who I get my semen from and he has a MVE XC 20/20 for $225.00. He said he has been filling it on a 16 week interval and it still uses the same amount as long as he's been filling it. He said he'd guarantee it for a year. I've been watching Ebay, but you don't know if the tanks are any good and they ususally sell for quite a bit.

Bobg":2zvxdwwm said:
I've been using a little 10 liter old tank from work for my semen and it needed to be filled every two weeks. Finally decided to look for a different one, but couldn't afford a new one. I emailed the Select Sires rep who I get my semen from and he has a MVE XC 20/20 for $225.00. He said he has been filling it on a 16 week interval and it still uses the same amount as long as he's been filling it. He said he'd guarantee it for a year. I've been watching Ebay, but you don't know if the tanks are any good and they ususally sell for quite a bit.

If the rep stands behind it you can pretty well bet it's going to be ok.
Those pig in a poke used tanks frequently aren;t worth the cost of shipping.

dun

That is exactly what I did, I got a used one from a Select Sires rep also and it was $250 too ( a new one this size is over $1,000.00). I got 100 straws of semen with it too (just junk though), but good for me and the wife to practice handling the semen and loading the gun.

It's a crap shoot when you buy one used, but the reps know the tanks when they fill them on a regular basis. Mine has not been beat up and holds a good charge between his 9-10 week visits. He told me the last trip we could probally extend the refills to 12-14 weeks at a min. We just need good records of what it takes each time its filled.

best of luck with your tank and your AI work.

Dun,,,a question on refilling the tanks, I have a MVE SM-33 tank

Is it ok to get them filled at a welding supply house verses the semen rep. I have been told it is much cheaper or is that a good idea.

Howdy,

liquid nitrogen can be found many places. It's best to see what kind of price you can get. My semen rep lives far enough away, that regular filling would be pricey. I am only 9 miles away from a bull stud collector (North American Breeders) I simply stop in with the tank each quarter and fill up. I am saving some seroius $$$$$ by monitoring it myself, and filling locally.

C HOLLAND":3q2m1axn said:

Is it ok to get them filled at a welding supply house verses the semen rep. I have been told it is much cheaper or is that a good idea.

Liquid nitrogen is liquid nitrogen. As long as they fill it to the very top there's nothing wrong with having someone other then an AI rep fill it. For a while we had ours filled at the hospital by the traveling nitrogen dealer, then I found out where he bought the stuff and hauled it up there and got it filled. Now I'm just too lazy, I let the ABS guy fill it when he comes by every X weeks. Costs 20 bucks and I don;t have to lift the tank, he does it.

dun

I need to buy an AI tank this year and i was talking to my nabor and he told me that one of the dairy farmer on my road that went out of business had one, went and talked to him and he sold it to me for $20 cant beat that deal.

D_skro":30y0b3z1 said:
I need to buy an AI tank this year and i was talking to my nabor and he told me that one of the dairy farmer on my road that went out of business had one, went and talked to him and he sold it to me for $20 cant beat that deal.

Make dang sure it don't have a leak before you load it with semen.

Tanks tend to lose their vacuum over time.

If it holds nitrogen it was a good deal. If it don't, you haven't lost much.

dun":207lrtkp said:
C HOLLAND":207lrtkp said:

Liquid nitrogen is liquid nitrogen. As long as they fill it to the very top there's nothing wrong with having someone other then an AI rep fill it. For a while we had ours filled at the hospital by the traveling nitrogen dealer, then I found out where he bought the stuff and hauled it up there and got it filled. Now I'm just too lazy, I let the ABS guy fill it when he comes by every X weeks. Costs 20 bucks and I don;t have to lift the tank, he does it.

dun

Dun, I will keep letting the semen rep fill it, I called the welding supply place and their price was higher and like you said. I don't have to carry it to them.

I will be doing a few more heifers in the next few weeks, so its time to get back in practice on the old straws of semen and get my wife trained on handling and loading the AI gun.

My Select Sires rep will fill it for free when you buy your semen, but when they have to fill at other times it costs $50. I work at the local university and can get it refilled for less than $20.

Bobg

Bobg":1o1hepp7 said:
My Select Sires rep will fill it for free when you buy your semen, but when they have to fill at other times it costs $50. I work at the local university and can get it refilled for less than $20.

Bobg

BobG

I can't complain, they loaned me one for several months until this used one became available. I have been paying $40.00 each time to have it filled. The tank I have now holds the charge much better than the loaner I had. The rep has me on his normal route of about 9-10 weeks (I think thats right) and he told me we could probally extend out the visits if I didn't need any semen or supplies.

Yes, Select Sires is pretty good about that. My rep has to come all the way from Missoula MT and thats about 250 miles. He's over here every 8 weeks delivering semen and checking tanks at Washington State Univ.

Bobg

MikeC":1l5jbqes said:
D_skro":1l5jbqes said:

Make dang sure it don't have a leak before you load it with semen.

Tanks tend to lose their vacuum over time.

If it holds nitrogen it was a good deal. If it don't, you haven't lost much.

I have had it filled for three months, working fine

I started following ebay and found some decent deals. Nothing like $20 for a used one. I couldn't get myself to trust used tanks. I bought a new MVE XC20 for $430 + $20 shipping... I'm happy.

Alan