Finally Done!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Now we can celebrate. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
ended the year on a good note. Last calf is a heifer out of our Bear bull.

Have 2 older cows that are going to the sale ring even though they haven't calved.
Think one might be open and the other has a spot on her eye.
checked our records and last day calves should be due is June 24th. Don't have the time or hay to watch just those 2.

So we are done. End of a crappy calving.
7 dead calves
2 c-sections
1 prolapse.

Why is it when calve prices are sky high one always has a crappy calving season. :roll: Congrats on being done, remember next year is a brand new season . :)
Plus, spring might actually show up soon. :p

Don't we know that about crappy years when the price is good.
Well the bulls proved that that cow was open. :nod:
Going to the yard on Monday.

Suppose to get up in the 60's this next week, hope the weather liars are right.

just be glad your done with a rough calving season.what are you going todo with the 7 cows that had dead calves.

bigbull had 1 cow have the dead set of twins I talked about on here. Going to keep her.
1 cow lost her calf to a predator, going to keep her.
1 cow laid on her calf by accident in the barn pen trying to keep him warm, keeping her.

Shipped the sob that kicked her calf and broke his neck, she's at the sale yard right now.
2 calves were born premature and did not survive, keeping both of them.
Got 9 cows hitting the truck total this year. 5 are leaving this fall.
3 are at the sale yard, 1 is going later this month waiting for the withdrawl time period; she was the c-section that dried up.

thommoos we had 55 head calving this spring.

IHL I had a perfect calving season in 2009, out of 75 head and 5 sets of twins, everyone survived ,were good moms and babies grew like weeds. It was also the worst drought in 50 years here in 180 acres of hay land we got 40 bales off ,ran out of pasture and 75 percent of my herd had to go to the sale barn as hay was selling for $200 a ton. When you have winter last for 7 months that is just not feasible. Got 35 cents a pound for most of the cows which averaged 3-5 years old and all due to start calving in Jan. The best year ended up being my worst year.
Sometimes no matter what we do it turns to crap, hopefully one of your worst years will end up being one of your best years . :tiphat:

I remember you talking about that HD and my heart broke for you.
It really sucks when you put that much time and effort into something and something comes along and kicks you in the shorts.
We are still trying to get the numbers back up to where they were before '07 when we lost those 15 head.

Only choice we had a couple years ago was keep only 6 heifer calves or have a lot less money to pay bills with. We took the 6 head.
If we can keep the 12 heifer calves back, hopefully we can ship all 9 of those cows that have to go.
I know alot of guys would have shipped the cows that didn't raise a calf, but for us we are hoping to get another calf out of them next year.

Just talked the sale yard. Cows avg was 1402 and brought $.76

Latest posts