FINALLY. A breeding plan of sorts.

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
OK, I have finally come up with a growth bull to breed to my cows every other year or every two years to produce a growth calf. Here he is in the second pic. Local breeder, nice bull from what I have heard. I also have decided to stay true to the grain of small, efficient, and rugged genetics. The first bull is what I believe is a good example of that. Now I would like your opinions on bulls like him, both Hereford and Angus, that meet my criteria. Thanks so much for the help.

blackcowz":143pm3pl said:
OK, I have finally come up with a growth bull to breed to my cows every other year or every two years to produce a growth calf. Here he is in the second pic. Local breeder, nice bull from what I have heard. I also have decided to stay true to the grain of small, efficient, and rugged genetics. The first bull is what I believe is a good example of that. Now I would like your opinions on bulls like him, both Hereford and Angus, that meet my criteria. Thanks so much for the help.

I haven't beem following this very close,but what is it your trying to do? Raise a terminal calf crop every other year and and a calf crop for replacements the other? Why not split your herd and breed your best cows every year for your seedstock and breed the rest for terminal calves? If it is going to be a terminal calf why not bred them to a bull with more growth than it looks like those two have and maybe something more of an outcross to maximize hybrid vigor?

I kinda like those bulls what is the breeding on the black bull?

EAT BEEF":5wc641fc said:
blackcowz":5wc641fc said:

I haven't beem following this very close,but what is it your trying to do? Raise a terminal calf crop every other year and and a calf crop for replacements the other? Why not split your herd and breed your best cows every year for your seedstock and breed the rest for terminal calves? If it is going to be a terminal calf why not bred them to a bull with more growth than it looks like those two have and maybe something more of an outcross to maximize hybrid vigor?

Well, all my cows are maternal, but every other year or every two years I want to get a terminal calf or two that I can send to the freezer. I only have two cows that are X-breds and could be bred to a terminal bull. Make sense? The black bull is my terminal cross. Gelbvieh. His name is Sebastian and he was bred and raised by Y2K Gelbvieh. Not sure on his breeding, but I can find out if you would like.

blackcowz":1c9m09gd said:
EAT BEEF":1c9m09gd said:
blackcowz":1c9m09gd said:

Well, all my cows are maternal, but every other year or every two years I want to get a terminal calf or two that I can send to the freezer. I only have two cows that are X-breds and could be bred to a terminal bull. Make sense? The black bull is my terminal cross. Gelbvieh. His name is Sebastian and he was bred and raised by Y2K Gelbvieh. Not sure on his breeding, but I can find out if you would like.

I see. well then your plan sounds like good one to me I bet they will taste great.

That doesn't look like a pharo bull, but he does look like a terminal bull. Does he go on vacation every other year, or do you just keep him around to breed 2 cows to every year?

Nope, I'm just going to keep a little bit of him frozen in my tank for when I need him. Certainly not a Pharo bull! :D We also raise a couple 4-H steers every year, so I might use him for that, too. However, I really like that little Hereford. For making little heifers and bulls, a bull like that would be perfect for my program. Not sure if I can find many like that anymore these days. But anyway, back on topic, I don't have to feed the black one, just pay a little to keep him cold until I'm ready to use him.

Good luck with the Sebastian bull he is for sure a good one. I have seen his offspring and they are definately the right kind. You might also be surprised how much you like those Balancer calves out of him and your Angus cows.

Did you get to go up to Mike's place and see him in person yet. I think your gonna be very impressed with him up close. BTW he has a great disposition. If I can find it I wil send you a picture of him gettin some good scratchin from some old fart from down the road from you.

3waycross":2k729341 said:
Good luck with the Sebastian bull he is for sure a good one. I have seen his offspring and they are definately the right kind. You might also be surprised how much you like those Balancer calves out of him and your Angus cows.

Did you get to go up to Mike's place and see him in person yet. I think your gonna be very impressed with him up close. BTW he has a great disposition. If I can find it I wil send you a picture of him gettin some good scratchin from some old fart from down the road from you.

Nope, ain't been to see him. Haven't even got the owner called. :roll: Aw well. Anyhow, I'll get on it and try to get up to his place someday soon.

Latest posts