Final picture of show steer and next years project

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
My son had $436 dollars of feed in him. He was 10 months old and weighted 1172 lbs.
County_Fair_1.jpg

Next years project was born 1/05/07. His sheath is a major problem. He had a hernia that stretch the skin out more than if he didn't have the hernia. If all goes well, he should be 13 months old at our county show next year.
IMG_1342.JPG

Why such young calves? Most exhibitors want Show Steers to finish at 17-20 months of age. They will normally Grade better at this age, plus you get to drag them to more shows.

Why such young calves? Most exhibitors want Show Steers to finish at 17-20 months of age. They will normally Grade better at this age, plus you get to drag them to more shows.

He was out of my sons retired show heifer. That was just the age he was for our county show. He did win Grand Champion American and was 3rd overall. We show heifers, but if my sons' cows have bulls, we try to show them at the county show. The younger bull calf will be 14 months old next year. He will probably weight more than 1500 lbs. At our county show, they like the weight to be around 1200-1300 lbs for the buyers. If we waited until 17-20 months of age for our PB Simbrah steer projects, they weigh more than 1600 lbs. Our county show has a ceiling of 1500 lbs. If they weigh more than that, then you will not get paid past that point if you do not make the sale.

That is one helluva cute calf! :heart: The older steer looks good too. We don't see many tropically influenced steers in our shows here.

17 - 20 months would be over the hill compared to our steers here. The shorties and crosses I've shown tend to kill anywhere from 10 - 16 mths, with most being around 12 mths. They usually only go to one major show (where they are killed) and maybe one or two small local shows beforehand.

*Cowgirl*":21wkw61t said:
they look good. did you get docked for the ear?
You don't necessarily get docked for the ear in the show ring...mostly because you show against other Simbrah. (I showed Simbrah as well) The only time you really get docked is as a disadvantage if you've got a County show that divides the calves up as American, British, ORB or a major show that divides them up like that, in which case you'll be competing against more breeds than just Simbrah.

Jay

AAOK":1dhq7tlg said:
As a contribution to what ffamom said, I took a PB Simbrah steer to Houston at 15 months of age. At the time of the show he weighed about 1575 lbs and was not the largest in the class.

Jay

10 months old and 1172 lbs? That is pretty good. Did you use implants or anything? JW. What breed is the steer?

No, we didn't use any implants. He only received vaccinations. I wonder if he would have classified as organic? Simbrahs just grow quickly.

Latest posts