Filling tractor tires with water/anti freeze

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
How can I fill my tires with water and antifreeze? I was wondering if using a submersible pump with a smaller hose going into the tire (deflated and tractor jacked) would work? I thought pumping out of another container into the tire maybe?

There is a valve gizmo that you fasten to the tire stem with the valve core removed and the other end to a pump. As the air in the tire is displaced by the liquid you press a little button (valve) on the gizmo and it lets the air out.

dun

dun":1hotwdqt said:
There is a valve gizmo that you fasten to the tire stem with the valve core removed and the other end to a pump. As the air in the tire is displaced by the liquid you press a little button (valve) on the gizmo and it lets the air out.

dun

I thought everyone had one of these that you only use every five years and can't find it.

TSC may have one. I got mine at a general farm store, lets see that would have been around 1960 something.
BTW, I know where mine is. Alwasy in the way when I'm trying to get out the tire patching stuff.

dun

I may have one and don't know it and still couldn't find it. That's why I usually end up with more than one of everything.

I've found that it's quickr, easier and not that much more money to have the local tractor tire repair joint come out and do them.

dun

With the tires deflated, I put 5 gallons of antifreeze in each tire with a sprayer. Then I just hook my waterhose to fitting that reduces to 1/4 NPT you can get for $3 from Home Depot or any hardware store. I screw a clip on chuck onto the 1/4 NPT connector and hook my water hose up to the tractor tire, walk off and let it fill. Fifteen minutes later I fill the other side and walk off. When I am done there is about 40 PSI in the tire and I have to let off a bit of pressure. Since water does not compress, you don't have to let out much at all to drop the pressure.

rc":17rfqs1n said:
TSC does have em, got one. Does it take 5 gallons of antifreeze?

My tires are huge. If I had a little tractor I would just use a couple of gallons.

RC, check this site out to see how much water your tires hold.

http://www.firestoneag.com/tiredata/inf ... ydro_2.asp.

After you've found the size and capacity of your tires, check the chart below for the percentage of antifreeze you need for the degree of protection you want.

freezing20point20of20water20and20an.jpg

rc":2be3pst2 said:
How can I fill my tires with water and antifreeze? I was wondering if using a submersible pump with a smaller hose going into the tire (deflated and tractor jacked) would work? I thought pumping out of another container into the tire maybe?
Find a hose that you can stick on the valve fitting after you remove the part that has the valve stem in it. The hose should be long enough to reach into the anti freeze container with the container on something that is higher than the tire. Let all of the air out of the tire. Stick the hose in the container and jack the tractor until the tire clears the ground. This will suck the anti freeze from your container and into the tire. Do it as many times as it takes to get the amount of anti freeze in the tire that you think you require.

I get my tires done now but years ago I did them myself , i got a valve adaptor at TSC and hooked the hose to an old roller pump which I put on the tractor PTO and pumped the solution into barrels and then to put it back in you switch the hoses on the pump. I never used antifreeze , I always use calcium chloride which adds weight and keeps it from freezing . when using calcium use yuo need to wash and oil the pump to keep it from rusting.

rc":zffif53b said:

Everyone in this area uses methanol mixed with water for tire ballast. Might be a little cheaper than antifreeze.

glover36":1uzy6m9p said:
your putting this in the tube right?
Most of you probably wouldn't believe me but I use calcium chloride and it actually works better using it tubeless. The rims don't get rusted up like they do when you have a tube. I can't explain the physics of it but I have never had problems with a tubeless.

Novaman,

Curious what type of wheels you are talking about. Wouldn't think everday ag wheels would be able to take it. Maybe they are treated with something in the paint?

As far as anti freeze in the tires I wouldn't recommend it for numerous reasons. Calcium chloride is the only way to go and it's not that expensive and doesn't take much to mix. Just make sure it is mixed completely before installing or you can have a big chunk of it rolling around in your tire for a while. As far as doing it yourself, take a lunch. Pumping 75-100 gallons thru a 3/8" diameter hole without the correct equipment should be fun to watch.

Tie a rock onto yor three point. :lol:

CW

Latest posts