fields of daisies

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
My hay fields have always had a good many daisies but this year is a bumper crop. Is there an amount that's too much for cows (in hay; they won't be grazing it)? Much protein? Does it matter what stage they're baled at? They're in full flower now

Good question. I have never seen them before here and now they are everywhere. Daisy weeds. We baled them up for first cut but seems like they are being avoided in the pasture. :|

Dave":l1z1q5f0 said:
If they are ox eyed daisies it is pretty much a sure sign of low soil fertility.
Thanks. That's interesting. We have a lot of them, even in fields that were soil tested last year and tests said they were pretty good shape.
I couldn't find much info on whether they are palatable for cows to graze, or what affect they have in hay, and whether it matters what stage they're in.
They're pretty endemic around here.

BigBear":2d95u6nu said:
Good question. I have never seen them before here and now they are everywhere. Daisy weeds. We baled them up for first cut but seems like they are being avoided in the pasture. :|

Do your cows eat them ok in the hay?

boondocks":3ht1u3zf said:
BigBear":3ht1u3zf said:

Not sure. We will find out this winter. They seem to avoid them in the pasture but there's lots of better grass and red clover available to them as well.

BigBear":6mryvqvg said:
boondocks":6mryvqvg said:
BigBear":6mryvqvg said:

Not sure. We will find out this winter. They seem to avoid them in the pasture but there's lots of better grass and red clover available to them as well.

Gotcha. Guess I won't find out if they'll eat them in hay since I can't get anyone to bale it :bang:

Latest posts